1/2 cup slivered almonds
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
    2/3 cup crushed potato chips
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl combine the chicken, celery, almonds, salt, pepper, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and cheese. Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Spread the crushed potato chips on top. Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly.

This is great for fall or winter weather. I couldn't find my recipe so I got this online... Yummy.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 12:06 PM

MMMmmmMMM that sounds delich! I don't have a sour dough starter, and would love the recipe for Christmas. Remember I am not a baker! ;)

I am going to make the chicken salad for my super bowl party in the fall!

Keep the recipes coming guys!
    Dogs Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 12:07 PM

I'm not much for warmed mayo, do you think you could substitute cream cheese kit?
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I'm not much for warmed mayo, do you think you could substitute cream cheese kit?

How about sour cream and then again cream cheese may work. This recipe is one of my favorites and I always have some brown and serve rolls or croissants and a salad.:D
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 01:13 PM
    Thought you might like this recipe as well:

* 1 zucchini about 12 inches long, or 6 medium ones
    * 3 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1/2 cup chopped onion
    * 3 cloves garlic, minced
    * 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
    * 2 tablespoons dry white wine
    * 1 pound ground turkey
    * 2 diced tomatoes
    * 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    * 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
    * 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    * 1 egg, lightly beaten
    * 2 teaspoons salt
    * 2 teaspoons pepper

Method

1 Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out insides, leaving shells about 1/4 inch thick. Reserve about half of the insides.

2 Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add mushrooms and reserved zucchini insides, and sauté another 2 minutes.

3 In a separate skillet heat a Tbsp of olive oil on medium high heat. Add the ground turkey. Lightly brown the turkey, stirring only occasionally. After the turkey browns on one side, stir it so that it has a chance to brown on other sides. Cook until the ground turkey is lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in the onion and mushroom mixture from the other pan. Add the wine. Stir in tomato, basil and rosemary and cook 1 minute longer. Drain any excess fat. Remove mixture from heat and set it aside.

4 When mixture has cooled, add cheese, egg, salt and pepper. Fill zucchini shells with mixture. Fill a baking pan with 1/4 inch of water. Place filled zucchini halves in pan and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, until golden brown. Remove zucchini from pan and serve while hot.

Serves 4.
    Yummy.

A variation on this I have eaten before adds extra tomato to it and rice. Then you bake the mixture and just before baking cover the entire top with parmasian cheese. The one I ate was made using a summer squash. The rice adds some different texture to it. The shell comes out soft. Sheesh now Im starving, lol.
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 01:36 PM
    Baked Stuffed Tomatoes

Ingredients
    6 slices bacon 6 medium tomatoes 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 1/3 cup croûtons salt and pepper to taste 6 sprigs parsley
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 11x7 inch baking dish.
    Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. While bacon is cooking, wash tomatoes and slice off stem ends. Gently scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2 inch wall. Finely chop pulp and place 1/3 cup of it in a medium bowl. You may discard remaining pulp.
    Stir crumbled bacon, green pepper, cheese, croûtons, and salt and pepper into tomato pulp. Spoon an equal amount of mixture into each hollowed out tomato. Place stuffed tomatoes into prepared baking dish.
    Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until heated through. Garnish with parsley sprigs.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Yummy.

A variation on this I have eaten before adds extra tomato to it and rice. Then you bake the mixture and just before baking cover the entire top with parmasian cheese. The one I ate was made using a summer squash. The rice adds some different texture to it. The shell comes out soft. Sheesh now Im starving, lol.
    \

I also use hamburger quite a bit.

Mmm great variation.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Baked Stuffed Tomatoes

Ingredients
    6 slices bacon 6 medium tomatoes 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 1/3 cup croutons salt and pepper to taste 6 sprigs parsley
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 11x7 inch baking dish.
    Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. While bacon is cooking, wash tomatoes and slice off stem ends. Gently scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2 inch wall. Finely chop pulp and place 1/3 cup of it in a medium bowl. You may discard remaining pulp.
    Stir crumbled bacon, green pepper, cheese, croutons, and salt and pepper into tomato pulp. Spoon an equal amount of mixture into each hollowed out tomato. Place stuffed tomatoes into prepared baking dish.
    Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until heated through. Garnish with parsley sprigs.
    Mm I've done this with hamburger too, also used red peppers. Excellent dish!
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 04:37 PM
    LAYERED CHICKEN NACHOS - Crock pot
    Category: Hot

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
    1 cup picante sauce
    2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup guacamole
    Tortilla chips

Garnish
    Chopped green onions
    Black olive slices
    Jalapeño slices

Stir chicken and picante sauce into crock pot. Cover and cool on LOW for 8 hours. Stir in cheese and cook until melted.

Line serving dsh with chips. Top with chicken mixture and garnish as desired.

You can use ground chuck if desired instead of chicken. Use leftovers to make stuffed baked potato's
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    LAYERED CHICKEN NACHOS - Crock pot
    Category: Hot

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
    1 cup picante sauce
    2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup guacamole
    Tortilla chips

Garnish
    Chopped green onions
    Black olive slices
    Jalapeno slices

Stir chicken and picante sauce into crock pot. Cover and cool on LOW for 8 hours. Stir in cheese and cook until melted.

Line serving dsh with chips. Top with chicken mixture and garnish as desired.

You can use ground chuck if desired instead of chicken. Use leftovers to make stuffed baked potato's
    Since we are talking about crock pots. Here is a favorite I make.

One roast either pork or beef.

Put it in the crock pot.

Add one jar of picante sauce or salsa. (I use medium)

Add 1 can of beer

Cook on low all day

Pull out roast when ready to eat and turn crock pot on high.

When juices get hot Add minute rice to absorb the juices.

It makes a spiced rice to go with the roast.

Also just before the your ready to eat throw in a few ears of corn with teaspoon of sugar into boiling water on the stove and have roast and rice with corn on the cob.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 05:13 PM

Ohh I love making a Hodge podge with the slow cooker. Same idea, roast of some sort, and a cup or so of stock (your choice), onion, garlic,mini carrots, small potatoes, turnip and cabbage, cook on slow all day, remove roast and veggies, and use remaining broth to make gravy.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 05:18 PM

I can't say I have ever tired turnip. But what your making sounds yummy.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 05:54 PM

OoO turnip has a sweet taste, delicious mashed or left whole. Another great slow cooker meal would be a boiled dinner.

Same veggies as above, but with salt pork or beef. Usually served with a pea's porridge and a soft bread with a crusty crust.
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 06:01 PM
    OoO turnip has a sweet taste, delicious mashed or left whole. Another great slow cooker meal would be a boiled dinner.

Same veggies as above, but with salt pork or beef. Usually served with a pea's porridge and a soft bread with a crusty crust.
    I love to eat turnips raw or cooked with a lot of butter.:)
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 01:08 AM

What's bannock bread? Any relationship to Bannockburn? :-)

Sour dough starter:
    Sourdough Bread: How To Begin (easy sourdough for the beginner or novice)
    That's not a recommendation or anything. I've never made a sour dough starter - I just found the page and it said for beginners.
    Dogs Expert

Nov 14, 2010, 07:17 AM

Wow, I was looking for a recipe that KP left on squash soup, and I saw that Morgaine responded here, but I didn't get notified.

I know you aren't here any more Morgaine, but I just wanted to post the recipe for bannock bread.

Bannock is simple. Basically it is just a pan fried bread dough. Lots of leeway in this recipe. Use your imagination with it. It can't be hurt! LOL (unless you try and add chocolate chips! Ech. )

* Flour
    * Baking Powder
    * Water
    * Salt
    * Lard or fat

As to how much of each? I haven't a clue. I usually try about what I assume would be:

3 cups of flour
    Tsp baking powder
    Pinch of salt
    Enough water to mix into a paste like dough
    Lard fry it in. Use a lot. 1/4" in bottom of fry pan and add more later if needed.

Put it in the pan of hot grease and cook away! You can put it in as one piece, or shape it into "buns".

I like to put in cheese chunks (small). Or cinnamon and raisins. Or wild blueberries. I also like it with lots of sugar sometimes (if I'm craving sweets in the bush). If I have butter, I love to eat it hot and dripping in butter or even syrup. Or just dipped into melted moose fat.

I usually fry it in a fry pan. One side at a time, slowly, if you have it leaned into the fire. Or, if you've lost the fry pan in the creek, make the dough thicker and wrap it around a green willow branch to cook over the coals.

Sometimes I bake it too. Grease bottom and sides of a bread pan, and place in oven. What temp? I've no idea. I'd guess not too hot though, cause it is thick and takes time for the middle to get done right. Can also wrap in tin-foil and bake like that. In order not to burn it this way though, I usually put it UNDER the coals, deep in the ashes or if it's a new fire, under the dirt. Slow and cooler is the ticket here.

Oh! And if you are making a big pot of stew to last a day or so? Dump in a couple of pieces of bannock (as if you were making a bun) and it can be called a dumplin. Good stuff!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chicken Stock vs. Chicken Broth? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first time asking of you Gentle Folks. I've recently found the advantage to using canned chicken broth to start my chicken soups and other dishes. However, what's the difference between "chicken stock" and "chicken broth"? It has come up because I have a couple of coupons for...

How do I stop chicken pecking chicken [ 2 Answers ]

Help, rescued 6 featherless battery hens, they're recovering well, except one who is picked on, pecked and generally not refeathering- due to attack I think. Should she be isolated? For how long and at bedtime too?

A horse and a chicken [ 3 Answers ]

A horse and a chicken are playing in a meadow. Suddenly the horse falls into a mud hole and starts sinking. He tells the chicken to go and get the farmer to help pull him out to safety. The chicken runs to the farmer, but the farmer can't be found. So he drives the farmer's Mercedes back to...

Curry Powder [ 4 Answers ]

If a recipe calls for curry powder and I don't have any in the house, what can I replace it with? Thanks!

Chicken or the egg? [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone know which one came first the chicken or the egg? Or is anyone ever going to find out what the answer is? Here's another one " If a tree falls in the middle of the forest and noone is around does it make a sound?" I would like to see how everyone responds to these. Have a...

View more questions Search