Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarKoH Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 08:24 PM
    What animal or insect makes this kind of
    We have an animal or insect that makes the most amazing string structures. We would like to know what is capable of this. The structure starts at the top of a tree and zig zags down about 12 feet. At this point a finer string shoots out about 45 feet across the yard to another tree where it zig zags up to the top of that tree. The horizontal part is about 20 feet off the ground. This is the second one we have noticed this summer. We live in Springfield, MA. I have some photos of it here
    http://picasaweb.google.com/MATetreault/20100801
    Picasa Web Albums - Mark - 2010-08-01

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It amazes me that the string shoots out horizontal for a long distance. Something that flys?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 08:31 PM

WOW! I have no idea what could make that, but it's amazing! And the string is huge! Are you sure it's a bug?
    Dogs Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 08:32 PM

Have you ever touched the string?
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Aug 6, 2010, 03:53 AM

Mark, I was really having a hard time making out your pics but, at this time of year, I am 99% positive what you are dealing with is the Fall Webworm. VERY damaging to trees. You appear to have found them at the beginning of their nest building. Here is info on them along with management recommendations. You need to get rid of them before they destroy your trees.

Fall Webworm - Landscape Nursery and Urban Forestry - UMass Extension

Fall Webworm Management, HYG-2026-95
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2010, 04:46 AM

Markoh, I'm no expert but I'm leaning towards neighborhood kids and a ball of twine. Can you see this in other trees in the area?

Aug 6, 2010, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by parttime View Post
    Markoh, I'm no expert but I'm leaning towards neighborhood kids and a ball of twine. Can you see this in other trees in the area?
    Yeah, that was my first inclination. Someone kite flying or practicing their fishing casts but it is not string. It has the consistency of spider silk and is translucent. The thicker part in the trees is the same but appears to be several of the finer ones twisted together. Another one showed up last night further back in some trees, but the same type of construction. Weird.

Aug 6, 2010, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Another_Lemming View Post
    Mark, I was really having a hard time making out your pics but, at this time of year, I am 99% positive what you are dealing with is the Fall Webworm. VERY damaging to trees. You appear to have found them at the beginning of their nest building. Here is info on them along with management recommendations. You need to get rid of them before they destroy your trees.

Fall Webworm - Landscape Nursery and Urban Forestry - UMass Extension

Fall Webworm Management, HYG-2026-95

We were trying to narrow it down to the insects or animals that can make some kind of web or silk. What is baffling is that the "string" travels about 45 feet from one tree to another about 20 feet from the ground. We noticed another one constructed about 90 feet back from the first in different trees. We can't figure out how the trip to the tree is made. Maybe the structure of what we have will expand and it will reveal itself, but so far it remains unchanged. We had an outbreak of the webworm many years back and your right, they are nasty but this isn't growing like that yet.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2010, 08:49 AM

I'm voting for lemming's webworms.
    Any reason to think that's not what it is?
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2010, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarKoH View Post
    What is baffling is that the "string" travels about 45 feet from one tree to another about 20 feet from the ground. We noticed another one constructed about 90 feet back from the first in different trees. We can't figure out how the trip to the tree is made. Maybe the structure of what we have will expand and it will reveal itself, but so far it remains unchanged. We had an outbreak of the webworm many years back and your right, they are nasty but this isn't growing like that yet.
    Traveling from one tree to another isn't necessarily a problem. Spiders do that all the time and so can other animals. They can "fall" across the space between buoyed by light breezes, trailing the silk behind. How thick are the thickest strings? Hard to judge from photos.

Aug 6, 2010, 01:55 PM

Are you sure the outbreak a few years ago wasn't in the spring & early summer? The tent caterpillar inundated New England a few years back. They are also extremely damaging to the foliage. They stripped trees bare, killing quite a few.

If you are positive that these aren't from the webworm, I am beginning to be haunted by images of an "Arachnophobia" type of situation in Springfield, MA. I don't think I will be driving by there any time soon! :)

Maybe Asking has some definite ideas when you come back and answer his question about the thickness of the strings.

In the meantime, if you think it may be a spider, here are a couple of other sites for you to check out. You might want to see if you can take clearer pics of the webbing and see if the site owners will be able to identify it for you:

Spiderzrule

Welcome to BugGuide.Net! - BugGuide.Net
    Dogs Expert

Aug 6, 2010, 02:49 PM

Dear Lord help me if that's a spider! I'll send this link to Cats to see if he knows what might be.

Aug 6, 2010, 03:13 PM

I was actually wondering why Cats hasn't shown up yet!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 6, 2010, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Dear Lord help me if that's a spider!! I'll send this link to Cats to see if he knows what might be.
    So where's the link?

That's absolutely fascinating photography, Mark. My first thought was anchor lines for a Northern widow spider, but there should be a web between them almost immediately. Closer examination makes me tend to think of webworms, too.
    Robert Gift Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

Aug 7, 2010, 04:50 AM

Fascinating!
    Wish you could take close-up photos and photos of where the strings connect or are fastened.
    How easy to break?

Aug 7, 2010, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gift View Post
    Fascinating!
    Wish you could take close-up photos and photos of where the strings connect or are fastened.
    How easy to break?
    We had quite a thunderstorm run through the other day and it survived that! I am going to try to get a picture of the intersections of the zig zag and where it shoots off to the other tree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unknown mound-making insect or animal in lawn [ 1 Answers ]

I have an unknown pest in my lawn. Something pushes up little loose, uneven, clumpy mounds of dirt and somewhere in there, there will be a narrow hole that goes down about 1-2 inches. I measured this by pushing a grass stalk down - it was usually a tight fit, and they appear to be air holes....

What kind of insect is this? [ 1 Answers ]

I found some Larve and some small little black bugs and then finally these in a car I had sitting in the barn. I have already set off two bug bombs and it seems to be bringing them out of hiding and killing them. I will set off another bomb tomorrow. Here is the pic... ...

What insect makes the sound of wood in motion? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'd like to know what kind of insect makes the sound of wood in motion. I've researched it constantly but found no answer. Thank you.:)

My dog got stung by some kind of insect [ 3 Answers ]

My dog got stung by some kind of insect and it has like a big bump on his lip and I would like to know if anyone knows if that is dangerous and/or I could give him some medicine

View more questions Search