Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenjo4273 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 05:41 PM
    501 c (3) fundraising guidelines
    I am an active parent that volunteers a lot of time with my children's little league. I am interested in running for fundraising chair and have been researching different and new ideas as well as updated some of the things we have now but I have been told that having a non-profit status, we as an organization can only make a certain amount. I've tried looking at the IRS website, but that is not very helpful for what the answer that I need. I am wondering if there is a place I can go to find my answer but also find a list of rules/regulations/guidelines that I can understand better. Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 06:16 PM

Since you are not a church, I will assume you have a letter of determination from the IRS and have your non profit set up according to state and federal law ?

But non profits can and do often bring in 100's of thousands of dollars, some of them help fund operations that I do for a living.

If you were a church under those rules, there is a dollar amount you can take in without having to have an official filing ( determination) with the IRS
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Aug 7, 2010, 06:59 AM

Here are some general principles:
    Some General Principles of Charitable Nonprofit Fundraising

About the money generated - I have worked for non profits for many years and we relied on fundraising to keep our doors open.

Did you check your local library? Ask the reference librarian. Librarians are spectacular about finding the right sources of information.

Also, don't discount the IRS. If you have a local IRS, it would not hurt to contact that office. Sometimes that real person contact makes a big difference.

Good luck to you and your fundraising.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a board member of a 501(c) get contracts with the 501(c)? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a board member that has a current contract with the 501(c) that he sits on the board for. Is this legal, ethical, allowed?

View more questions Search