Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 11:43 AM
    g1 visa and italian registry abroad
    I have been here on many working visas , paid taxes in the US and thus registered to AIRE Italian Registry for Resident Abroad at the Italian Consulate. The registration is mandatory to people who stay for a period longer than 90 days, abroad.
    I'm now on a G1 visa with an ordinary passport, paying taxes in Italy. What should I do with the AIRE? Should I still be registered? Am I considered fiscal resident in Italy and physically resident in the US?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 01:23 PM
    To my knowledge, No registration is required, though that is REALLY a LEGAL question, NOT a tax question.

Tax-wise, due to your G-1 visa, you are TOTALLY exempt from ALL U.S. taxes, both federal and state, on your EARNED income.

If you make OTHER forms of income (like stock transactions), you MAY be liable for a tax return on any income from such transactions. I would have to research the U.S.-Italy Tax Treaty to be sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Italian immigration law- can an American become Italian based on bloodline [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I currently hold an American passport as I was born there in 1964. My father is Italian by birth and my grandparents the same. My mother is British. I left America in 1965 and have lived in the UK with both parents ever since. I have Indefinite leave to Remain. I do not hold British...

Obtaining Italian Visa to work in US [ 2 Answers ]

I have a niece who is a Physical Therapist and an Italian resident and would like to work in the states for a year before returning home to Italy. She would stay with us and wants to expand her knowledge but will be returning home. She has already visited on a tourist visa, but can't seem to...

Marriage visa - Living abroad [ 1 Answers ]

Help. I am an American living in London with my South Korean wife. We both live and work here in the UK. We recently had a son, who is now also an American passport holder. We have no immediate plans to relocate to the States. My question: Can my wife start the process of becoming an...

View more questions Search