Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 08:57 AM
    Jewish burial
    My late husband was raised an Orthodox Jew and later changed to a Reform Jew (I don't mean to offend anyone and hope I am phrasing this properly), before I met him.

When he died I was told by his Uncle and cousin, both Rabbis, that he had to be buried before sundown (or a day later if people needed to travel a great distance), in a shroud, in a plain pine box with no metal, in the ground.

Is this not correct? I am aware of another death in which the person is not being buried for days and then is being placed in a crypt. I was told that the info I posted above is incorrect and only Muslims have to be buried by sundown. I don't know.

Did my late husband's family somehow take advantage of my lack of knowledge? Did the funeral director?

I know some Jewish sects allow for cremation but my husband did not want to be cremated.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 09:24 AM

Guide to Jewish Funeral Practice : The United Synagogue for Conservative Judaism (USCJ)

Judy,I'm afraid my knowledge on the jewish faith is limited,but in an effort to help answer your question I looked over a few sites.

The one above echos your post (part 4) in regards to the time frame you gave (after death) and no adornments on the deceased.

I came across several good sites that would seem to be knowledgeable in the jewish faith both Orthodox and Reformed.

If you wish I can post the links so you can read at your leisure.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 09:26 AM

Would you, please? I don't know why anyone would have led me wrong and I tried very, very hard to bury him according to the religion he was raised in.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 09:27 AM

Leave it with me and ill read over them and check credibility.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 09:38 AM

burial | services | a-to-z-of-reform-judaism- The Movement for Reform Judaism

Paragragh 2.

Informative and easy to understand information.

Jewish Life Cycle / Rituals: Funeral Customs

Paragraph 2 and 4.

Paragraph 6... is this revelant to you?

Last paragragh relates to Jewish death rituals according to the jewish faith,I noticed a similarity in the list and your op.

There are a few more,shout if you need more information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Law on burial [ 23 Answers ]

I know this lovely American old couple who have been living in Costa Rica for the past several years. He passed away a few weeks ago and despite his written will, the wife didn't take the corps to the U.S. for the funeral. She instead buried him in a local cemetery. Now the deceased husband's...

Funeral and burial expenses [ 2 Answers ]

My father passed away on October 2006. He was 77yo and on SSI, so I was left with the funeral and burial expenses. Are these expenses Tax Detuctible for my 2006 return? Thanks

Green burial [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I was looking at a web site that I frequent and they were advertising card board caskets. I was wondering if it was legal to be buried in a card board casket? %^)

Direct burial extension cord [ 3 Answers ]

I have put up outdoor xmas lights around my yard. They look great and I plan on leaving them there year round. The question is how to get power to them. Right now I have run extension cords from an outdoor outlet to several different starting points for the light strings around the yard. But...

View more questions Search