Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 05:35 AM
    Destructive Beagle: Should Owner Pay?
    So I agreed to watch someone's (demented) Beagle. The person told me this "She may have a couple accidents because she's still not fully potty trained and she might whine at night because she sleeps with us". Okay I got that.

However this isn't a couple accidents it's been constant. It hasn't been whineing sometimes it does it every single night.

Since this demon dog has been here it has:
    1) Urinated on my mattress and deficated all over my room as well; obviously I had to get a new mattress, and sheets.
    2) It chewed up my cherry wood coffee table :( I loved this table.
    3) It has urinated all over Rachel's toys in her room
    4) It has defecated on my area rug, basement and now couch.

I really would like to murder this dog by now.

I'm only getting paid 10$ a night so in the end I'm getting paid for the week I'm watching it 70$.

It's not that this dog is bored, oh no. I take it out for walks during the day and at night before work. It has a yard to run around AND poop in and it has done none of that! I can take it out for long walks and in less than 30 min it WILL do it's business inside the house.

I do keep the doors closed but it's hard to keep Rachel's door closed because she does go in and out of there throughout the day.

The dog is alone when I'm at work, and when I'm back from work all I want to do is sleep--- now let me tell you I cannot do any of it because it whines and whines and whines.

Last night was my last straw. I've had only a few hours of sleep in the last couple days so I grabbed it by it's muzzle, squeezed the hell out of it and told it to shut up. It also pooped all over my laundry so I threw it outside and it's going to stay outside till the lady comes back and gets it.

I've spoken to her and she's said that "it wasn't like her to be this way". Yeah f!cking right.

Now my question is should I tell her to pay more because of all the damage this dog has done? What should I do?

I'm so mad, tired and frustraded :(
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 05:57 AM

Moral support I can give you - this is why I don't watch other people's dogs unless I know the dog very, very well.

On the dogs' side - it's in a different place, it's undoubtedly unhappy and confused, now it's been grabbed by the muzzle and thrown outside so it's afraid.

On your side - the woman may or may not have lied to you.

On the woman's side - and the legal side - you had a contract with her to watch the dog for $X with no arrangements for damages or aggravation.

Would I tell her about the damages? You bet I would. Would I expect her to pay me and I do I think this could end the friendship? Pretty much, yes.

I travel somewhat frequently and when I do I pay a sitter who comes into my house and takes care of my dogs - I've never had a problem. However, it does cost me between $30 and $40 a day.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Moral support I can give you - this is why I don't watch other people's dogs unless I know the dog very, very well.

On the dogs' side - it's in a different place, it's undoubtedly unhappy and confused, now it's been grabbed by the muzzle and thrown outside so it's afraid.

On your side - the woman may or may not have lied to you.

On the woman's side - and the legal side - you had a contract with her to watch the dog for $X with no arrangements for damages or aggravation.

Would I tell her about the damages? You bet I would. Would I expect her to pay me and I do I think this could end the friendship? Pretty much, yes.

I travel somewhat frequently and when I do I pay a sitter who comes into my house and takes care of my dogs - I've never had a problem. However, it does cost me between $30 and $40 a day.
    Thank-you so much for replying! Your replies are always straight-forward!

I assumed this dog was at least bearable. Ha it's not.

I told her about all the damages it has done and all she said was that "she felt bad for it".

I just don't know what to say and how to say it when I do see her on Saturday.

I knew I shouldn't have grabbed it by the muzzle but wow I was so so sleep deprived at this point. Ahh..
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 06:13 AM

No harm, no foul - I've been known to put my dogs outside because if I didn't I would kill them. And they're my dogs.

For whatever reason pet owners are more defensive than parents of children. Tell a parent that her child shot somebody, she'll listen to you. Tell the same person that her dog pooped in your house, she won't believe you.

There's always Small Claims Court but I'd say it's a 50/50 toss - no agreement but a lot of damage.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 06:24 AM
    No harm, no foul - I've been known to put my dogs outside because if I didn't I would kill them. And they're my dogs.

For whatever reason pet owners are more defensive than parents of children. Tell a parent that her child shot somebody, she'll listen to you. Tell the same person that her dog pooped in your house, she won't believe you.

There's always Small Claims Court but I'd say it's a 50/50 toss - no agreement but a lot of damage.
    Oooh JudyKayTee you know Small Claims Court would just be a big waste of time.

I would really like to TALK to her when she comes over to pick it up and tell her about the damage and even ASK her to pay me more. I just don't know HOW to say it. I know that that is a 50/50 shot there too.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 06:28 AM

How about, "I didn't realize your dog would be scared and destructive and it cost me $X to buy ... Would you be able to help me with the cost?"

Takes some of the "your dog is obnoxious" sting out of things and maybe, just maybe.

I like Small Claims Court so I'd give it a try. I'd probably lose but depending on her attitude...
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 06:32 AM
    How about, "I didn't realize your dog would be scared and destructive and it cost me $X to buy ... Would you be able to help me with the cost?"

Takes some of the "your dog is obnoxious" sting out of things and maybe, just maybe.

I like Small Claims Court so I'd give it a try. I'd probably lose but depending on her attitude ...
    Okay Judy you're the expert.

I just really don't want to bring her to court y'know and make things uncomfortable and have her hate me. When someone brings you to court it's not exactly an invitation to a party. :(

I will also tell her what you said and see if that works out. I hope she makes it less awkward and offers herself to pay for some of the damage.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 06:49 AM

Let us know -
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 07:00 AM

I know Judy's posts are correct, however if it were me I would say to myself "darn I should have watched him better" or "darn, I should have shut Rachel's door"
    Sorry, but it's not really the dogs fault or the owners. If I were dog-sitting I would expect the worst, watch the dog like a hawk or lock it somewhere it couldn't cause damage while I went out.
    I'd tell the owner about it for sure, but wouldn't really expect money.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I know Judy's posts are correct, however if it were me I would say to myself "darn I should have watched him better" or "darn, I should have shut Rachel's door"
    Sorry, but it's not really the dogs fault or the owners. If I were dog-sitting I would expect the worst, watch the dog like a hawk or lock it somewhere it couldn't cause damage while I went out.
    I'd tell the owner about it for sure, but wouldn't really expect money.
    There really isn't any time for should could would. The house WAS gated with TWO baby gates while I was gone and the dog DID knock it down. I don't know how but it did. :eek:
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 08:04 AM

Muddy, it's really up to what kind of friend she is to you. If she's close enough to you to use you for a week long, inexpensive, kennel, then she should help pay for the damages. Not all, but a good portion of them. No, some of that is your responsibility for giving the dog full run of your house. Live and learn on stuff like that. A Cherry table had to be sacriced for that lesson.

She knows that she got a good deal on the boarding of her dog. Unless she just really can't afford to help you with the costs. Then in that case, just drop it. It'll kill your friendship.

But...
    You wouldn't even have to ask a REAL friend, they would just do it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    Muddy, it's really up to what kind of friend she is to you. If she's close enough to you to use you for a week long, inexpensive, kennel, then she should help pay for the damages. Not all, but a good portion of them.
    I hope she does pay a portion of it.

No, some of that is your responsibility for giving the dog full run of your house. Live and learn on stuff like that. A Cherry table had to be sacriced for that lesson.
    Yeah I understand that it was partially my fault. The first day it was here was the day it ruined my bedroom and coffee table, the next couple days I gated it in the laundry room and it jumped over and well ruined Rachel's toys and my carpet. Then I double gated it and it knocked it all over and destroyed my couch. :mad:

She knows that she got a good deal on the boarding of her dog. Unless she just really can't afford to help you with the costs. Then in that case, just drop it. It'll kill your friendship.
    I don't ever want to talk to her. I tried telling her all the things her dog did and she was telling me how unlike her it was.

Bah!

But...
    You wouldn't even have to ask a REAL friend, they would just do it.
    Oh well this is the LAST time I watch anyone's animal. My house now stinks and it's pretty much destroyed. I hate this dog. I knew I should've said no. Oh well... bah she's coming Saturday afternoon we'll see what happens.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 08:27 AM
    Damn straight make the owner pay. She'd still be saving money 'cause to board a dog at a vet is pretty expensive.

Ya part of this is your responsibility but if it's known this dog is always like this and she straight-up lied to you, that puts all the blame on her. Regardless, you still don't assume 100% of the damages.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post
    Damn straight make the owner pay. She'd still be saving money 'cause to board a dog at a vet is pretty expensive.

Ya part of this is your responsibility but if it's known this dog is always like this and she straight-up lied to you, that puts all the blame on her. Regardless, you still don't assume 100% of the damages.

It's a contract between the parties - the contract is $X, no other provisions, no mention of damages.

The lie does not make the contract invalid because the lie does not affect the contract - it WOULD if the damages were to be split, for example, 50/50. If she then lied, well, OP relied on false info when the contract was prepared.

But that's a lot of what if - it didn't happen.

The legal recourse is to try to argue friendship; the other recourse is Small Claims and I'm on the fence on that.

The other problem, of course, is how the dog was or wasn't supervised, what a prudent person would have done. Does that totally put blame on OP? No, but I do believe part of the blame could shift.

Morally, ethically, is the dog owner responsible? Yes.

How to make that happen is the question.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 11:05 AM

Oooh great just what I needed cops. The dog has been non-stop barking in the back yard. No worries it's not hot out, there is a breeze it has water AND food and there are lots of trees in my yard. Yet the damn thing is barking. I can't deal with this anymore. What can I do?

The cops came because a neighbor basically thought I was beating it. Agh!

Should I call the owner again? What do I say? I get really nervous when it comes to confrontations.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 11:07 AM

Call the owner. No one should have to babysit an unruly dog. Especially when they have a child to raise, and a house to maintain.

Sorry for your trouble.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 11:09 AM
    Call the owner. No one should have to babysit an unruly dog. Especially when they have a child to raise, and a house to maintain.

Sorry for your trouble.
    Thanks but I'm worried now that she won't pay me :(

I need all the money I can get for school right now!

Man this really sucks.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 11:21 AM

Sorry for your trouble.
    Okay well I've tried calling her.. so far no answer :( Oh no what if she ditched this furry demon on me. Okay I need to calm down... ahh well she was supposed to call me back yesterday and she never did.

:confused:

Uh oh.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 11:39 AM

Don't sweat it.

Keep hounding her.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 09:03 PM

Muddy, I'm going to be harsh, because frankly, your post upset me.

Urinated on my mattress and deficated all over my room as well; obviously I had to get a new mattress, and sheets
    Been there. I however cleaned the mattress, it's really not hard, and there's really no reason to buy a new one. It's all part of having a puppy in the house.

It chewed up my cherry wood coffee table I loved this table.
    How did this happen? If the dog was being watched, or in a kennel, this wouldn't have happened. Hard lesson, but this is one of those things that happens with a puppy.

It has urinated all over Rachel's toys in her room
    Water and vinegar, or lemon, and all as good as new.

It has defecated on my area rug, basement and now couch.
    Puppies that aren't potty trained will have accidents. The owner told you the puppy wasn't potty trained, so this should have been expected, especially if the puppy isn't being watched properly. Again, water and vinegar or lemon.

The dog is alone when I'm at work, and when I'm back from work all I want to do is sleep--- now let me tell you I cannot do any of it because it whines and whines and whines.
    The puppy misses it's owner, he's in a new environment with someone that obviously doesn't like him. How do you think he's going to react?

I've had only a few hours of sleep in the last couple days so I grabbed it by it's muzzle, squeezed the hell out of it and told it to shut up
    Right about now I feel like doing the same thing to you. Sorry, but this was uncalled for. How dare you? Would you do this to a baby that you're caring for? The puppy is scared, it misses it's mom, it's family, it's in a hostile environment, and you grab it's muzzle and squeeze like hell?

I've spoken to her and she's said that "it wasn't like her to be this way". Yeah f!cking right.
    Why would you think she's lying? Her dog most likely doesn't behave this way when he's with the people that love and care for him. Adjusting to a new home can take days, weeks. He doesn't know that his family is coming back, he thinks he's stuck with you for good, and you're not being very nice or understanding, of course he's reacting to that.

Now my question is should I tell her to pay more because of all the damage this dog has done? What should I do?
    What is she paying for? A used table and cleaning supplies? Sure, ask her. The mattress could have been cleaned, you chose to buy a new one, that's on you. Frankly, I wouldn't pay. So ask for the price of a used table, and cleaning supplies (vinegar and lemon).

Sorry Muddy, but I call them like I see them and your post really made me mad. I'm actually surprised everyone else was so understanding.

Bring on the reddies, even though this is just my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had no lease.I moved out and now the owner is trying to get me to pay him. [ 1 Answers ]

I lived in a "friends" apartment complex (4 units) in Minnesota for about 2 years. I asked the owner to transfer the electric bill into my name, after months of not receiving it. It was attached to his so he was paying it... he paid for like 10 months, and over that 10 months I repetely tried to...

The owner of the company I work for does not pay taxes [ 2 Answers ]

He does not have a workers compensation policy. Payroll checks are not taxes, but we do charge customers sales tax. I know I should be looking for a new job in case this company gets caught. He fired the accountant in June and no books or records have been kept since then. I want to claim...

Home owner stated he would pay for water damaged furniture [ 2 Answers ]

I have a saved email stating from my landlord that he would have his homeowners insurance pay for a very expensive solid wood cabinet that was ruined by a leaky roof. He is now trying to say no. Can I hold back rent in exchange for the payment of the wood cabinet? What are my legal rights?

Is adjacent property owner obligated to pay? [ 4 Answers ]

Recently, high winds blew down the fence between me and my next door neighbor. My neighbor had just recently moved in and is not the property owner. I replaced the fence paying all cost. However, my neighbor will not divulge the landlord's address for whatever reason. I did a property...

Apartment being demolished, does owner pay for relocation? [ 5 Answers ]

I moved into this building in Oct 2004. In June of 2005 the original owner sold the apartmet building and property to our Community Hospital. We (there are 4 units in the Bld) were all kind of worried because we heard about the Hospital expantion, and thought they would kick us out. They sent us...

View more questions Search