Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apache11 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 10:51 PM
    1990 Toyota Camry will not start
    My 1990 camry will not start it was going OK till yesterday when I started it first up in morning, then I backed out of drive and it just died on me and would not start, towed it to mechanic who told me might be distibitor he is still looking at it, could you please advise me if this could be the problem as I am not sure.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 08:18 AM

It could be an electrical issue with your ignition system.
    Or the timing belt may have failed.
    When you attempt starting the car, does the engine sound differently than before? Perhaps spinning faster than it used to?
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 02:58 PM

A quick search here and you'll find Toyota and Honda's have many issues with ignition parts going bad.
    Most likely what your man said. However, could be like the capt said, a timing belt that was on it's last tooth. (yes, they have teeth)

Aug 5, 2010, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    When you attempt starting the car, does the engine sound differently than before? Perhaps spinning faster than it used to?
    Thank You, Captain Rich,
    The engine does sound different than before, I will tell the mechanic and he can have a look.

Aug 5, 2010, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    Rating 10/10 Thank you.

Aug 5, 2010, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428 View Post
    A quick search here and you'll find Toyota and Honda's have many issues with ignition parts going bad.
    Most likely what your man said. However, could be like the capt said, a timing belt that was on it's last tooth. (yes, they have teeth)
    Rating 10/10, Thank you for your help.
    Zimi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2012, 05:49 PM
    1990 Toyota Camry 165.ookm. Yesterday took car in to garage because Toyota had when I drove *battery lite, Brake lite and Lite lite flashing on and off. I over night put my car on charger and next day it started? Garage told me it's my battery. The checked everything else according to garage. Alternator is fine which 3 month back same garage replaced in my car. After me telling them that I just purchased the battary 6 month back I was told *go and ask to have the battery exchanged*. (Meanitime I was sold a right boot, front end.) Anyhow, took my car to battery place and was exchanged.
    On my way home with brand new battery the battery , brake and LITE lite again came on and off. Stepped on brake light went away started driving lite came back on. Today new day was going to car car is dead. No cranking at all. No lites. DEAD as can be.
    Right now frustrated put back charger but my question is.. I checked all fuses and rely's WHAT else could it be. I am Not a mechanic just little common sense. Please advise.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2012, 08:17 PM
    Your aftermarket altenator is no good. Recommend get a toyota part and your problems will be history.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 toyota camry, washed engine now won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I degreased the engine on my 1990 holden apollo (toyota camry) and chucked a bucket of water on it to wash it off and now it won't start, this was 3 days ago. I was careful not to hit the air filter, battery or fuses. When I take the air filter off and pump the throttle I can see fuel squirting in...

My 1990 toyota camry (manual trans) dies while I am driving it. [ 2 Answers ]

I replaced the wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Also put in a used distributor. Just stranded me again. What now?

Toyota Camry Doesn't Always Start [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a '98 Camry and recently it started misbehaving. Sometimes it is just fine but twice now it has started up fine in the am then when he goes to leave work it won't start. It clicks on the initial key turn and subsequent trials to start it yield no result. But it takes a jump fine. ...

1990 Toyota Camry (wont start) [ 1 Answers ]

My 1990 Camery won't start! Ive had the battery checked and just put in a new starter because it tested bad. When I turn the key all the lights come on on the dash. It's a 5 speed and runs great if I get a push and start it that way. I'm not sure how to check the ingnition, but was told that it...

View more questions Search