Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwattigney1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 09:26 PM
    A/c contactor has 24 v on the red wire to grnd and 24 volts on the black wire to grnd
    This is causing the relay to not pull in due to both wires being positive. But the other 25% of the time, the black wire becomes common ground and the relay to work correctly without touching anything. Could this be caused by a faulty circuit board?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2010, 11:11 PM

What are wires tagged to on the other end, in the furnace/airhandler?
    One should tie to common,the other to yellow post or yellow wire from the y post in the tstat
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 03:06 PM

Something is wired in series with this circuit and is opening.
    24V into contactor will read 24 V out of contactor until the output is allowed to go to ground. So a wire is loose or a pressure switch or other safety device is opening not allowing voltage back to neutral/ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black wire red wire and white wire spliced to 10/3 on a 220 circuit [ 25 Answers ]

I have installed a disconnect between my dryer receptable and a tanning bed. I want to splice the 10/3 box wire to the existing 220 wiring at the dryer. Dryer= red, black, white and bare ground wires 10/3 wire= black, white, and bare ground How do I splice these to allow the disconnect box to...

Outlet Question: Open Neutral - Hot / Grnd Reverse? [ 6 Answers ]

This past weekend two outlets and one light fixture went dead in my basement after turning on my stereo. I checked the breakers and none had tripped, so I re-set the one in question just to be sure. Still dead. I haven't been in this house too long, so I thought to check for another breaker...

Red wire from ceiling fixture. Does it get connected to black? [ 1 Answers ]

Good evening, I do realize it is late on a weekend. I just removed an old florcesent light from my kitchen. I was expecting the usual, one black bire, one white, and one ground. A simple connection. Black to black, white to white, and ground to ground screw on new fixture. However, I have two...

Hot to grnd shows 120v [ 4 Answers ]

The 120v light on the tested comes up when it touch hot and the ground(bare). Is this normal? More info: The 120v light comes on when I touch the neutral(white) and the hot(black). I think this is OK. The light doesn't come up when I touch the neutral(white) and the ground(bare). I think...

I have black red White wire in the ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I have black red and white wires in the ceiling and blue black white and green on the fan which do I hook up to which?

View more questions Search