Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pskiver Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2010, 04:51 PM
    How do I get more cool air to upper floor?
    I live in a three level house (basement, main and upper floor) my air conditioner (located in the basement) works but does not cool the upper floor as well as I would like. How can I get more cool air to the upper floor?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2010, 05:02 PM

Not very easily. It is such a common problem. It is also something that could be completely solved when the house was built.

Now, it is more difficult to deal with. Sometimes the system can be zoned, warning, it really must be done right and is expensive. Or another option is install another A/C system just for the upstairs, even more expensive.

The usual advise is to close most or all of the basement and first floor registers to force more air upstairs, warning, this may not be a good idea. An A/C unit needs a lot of airflow to work properly and builders don't install extra registers and over sized ductwork. Doing so will actually lower the cooling capacity of the unit, slug and damage the compressor and possibly freeze up the evaporator coil. You can close a few and a few more about 50% but that is all you should try without knowing the static pressure and CFM of the AC unit.

Aug 4, 2010, 05:14 PM

Would an increase in fan speed help?
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2010, 05:22 PM

It can help, but the trade off is less dehumidifacation, that is very important in the way the air feels. It can even blow a mist of water, off the evaporator coil and into the insulation and ductwork, promoting mold growth.

Aug 4, 2010, 05:43 PM

Does the blower fan have only one speed?
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2010, 06:05 PM

Most likely yes, but is probably already on high, if so you need more HP

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump blows cool air,then warm air, then cool air again [ 5 Answers ]

My heat pump comes on, blows cool air, then hot air, then back to cool air again. The unit also runs for days at a time without ever shutting off, thus causing my electric meter to be moving very fast, and running up my electric bill. It has been running now for 42 straight hours. What can...

My cold air return blows cool air instead of sucking air [ 7 Answers ]

My cold air return blows cool air instead of sucking air

Cool air, but not keeping house cool during heat of day [ 1 Answers ]

Unit is blowing cool air, but not keeping house cool during the heat of the day

Will increasing the air intake allow the air conditoner to cool the house better? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 2400 sq ft house that was built in 2000. We were told by an air conditioner sales rep that our air conditioner is almost too small for our house. However, he said that if we increase the air intake by cutting another hole in the ceiling it should improve it. Meaning that on the hot 107...

Air cond is blowin air not cool air after power flipped off in storm? [ 4 Answers ]

I tried breakers and that didn't do anything

View more questions Search