Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abes007 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 04:41 PM
    Best PC optimizing program
    Dear Friends,

I have a sluggish laptop (DELL). It freezes because of the system executive files running in the background; especially when you switch it on.

I have 'Trend Micro' as my anti-virus protection program.

I cannot afford buying a new laptop so the solution is finding a good/excellent optimizing program to run.

I did try Advanced SystemCare Professional... not that much difference! It even started interfering with my printer's setting - very strange!

Can you please tell me what is the best PC optimizing program that you are using?

Many thanks in advance.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 4, 2010, 07:32 PM

I use CCleaner, have for years.

Aug 4, 2010, 08:28 PM

I use CCleaner on a daily basis. It is good but it has not helped a lot in my case, unfortunately. :-(
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Aug 4, 2010, 08:53 PM

Is it just system exe.'s running in the background or are there dozens of unneeded material running. A sluggish computer can be from just too many things running at once and your PC not having the power to run it all effectively?

P.S. To answer your question, although you responded to it. I use CCleaner as well and am pleased with my results. Though my PC's are very clean and organized, nothing out of place, nothing running unless need be or until prompted.

Rick

Aug 5, 2010, 02:31 AM
    Hi Rick,

In my case, it is just system exe.'s running in the background; like 'MsMpEng.exe' and 'taskmgr.exe'!

Any idea how to deal with such system exe's? Thanks.
    descoladan Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Aug 15, 2010, 11:51 AM

CCleaner and nCleaner are two different programs but they both do the same thing. I prefer nCleaner though because it also has a scheduler in it.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Aug 15, 2010, 01:38 PM

Abes007,try
    JkDefrag GUI 1.15,or
    Auslogics Defragmentor

You can get both from MajorGeeks,and both are free.CCleaner is great,but these two programs,which I have used,are another good alternative.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 15, 2010, 06:44 PM

Another thing you can do for temporary this time is staples is offering free tune ups. You might want to take advantage of that. And check some of the software while your there. How much free disk space is left and how big is the disk drive ?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 15, 2010, 09:33 PM

My Father-in-Law took advantage of a Staples "free tuneup" last month... dropped off his working laptop (used for email by him and Mom)... and they gave him back a door stop... claimed his computer was messed up before he gave it to them and he would have to pay big $$ if he wanted them to diagnose what the problem is.

Can't say I can recommend this service.

System Restore in Safe Mode (went back about 6 months) fixed whatever they did to it...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2010, 02:39 AM
    I would stay miles away from Staple/FutureShop/Best Buy tech support - they truly are the worst and will cost you a lot in the end.

As for dealing with apps that run in the background or at startup I use Autoruns but it's for advanced users who know what to turn off: Autoruns for Windows

Aug 16, 2010, 03:39 AM
    Thank you all for your feedbacks... much appreciated.

Aug 16, 2010, 03:40 AM

Thank you all for your useful feedbacks... much appreciated.

I am learning more and more about this topic!

Cheers! :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change Position Of A Program In Program List? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I change the position of a program in the list of "All Programs"? (after placing the curser over the "Start" button then on "all programs".

Qestion1:emplyee pay program, question2:average program [ 1 Answers ]

I would just like to know how to write these programs and the proper way in which to go about doing so. Question #1 In this exercise you create a program that displays an employee’s name and gross pay. a) The figure below shows the partially completed IPO chart for the payroll program....

Precalc Optimizing [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having problems with this problem... "A rectangle has its base on the X-axis, and its upper two vertices lie on the parabola y=12-x^2. What is the largest area the rectangle can have? What are the dimensions?" I've gotten this far... Area= Length * Width Length= 2X (cuz X can't go into...

Optimizing a Box [ 2 Answers ]

Yet another optimization problem... if anyone knows how to solve this please explain it to me: Thank you.A box with a square base and open top must have a volume of 32,000cm3. Find the dimensions of the box that minimize the amount of material used.

View more questions Search