Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    indecisivelucy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Indecisivelucy
    My daughter is a high achieving freshamn attending privates school in New York. She she has difficulty making decsions an is often paralyized by it. Is there anything that she can do
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Do you mean on tests or in real life situations?
    indecisivelucy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 11:38 AM
    In real life situation. Example teacher giving a writing assignment with several choice and asking her to choice which to write on . Or choosing what she wants to eat
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Start by limiting her choices. For example- would you like tacos or hamburgs for dinner or would you like to go to the movies or shopping? She could just be getting overwhelmed by the options. The same thing with school work. If it is a large project shorten the choices down to 2 or 3. Soon she will be able to do things like that herself. Also, start giving her MORE choices... ones that do not have dire consequences, but that make her feel like she has "power" in the situation. For example, would you like to start your homework now or in an hour... either way it is getting done, but it gives her the opportunity to make a choice.

How does she do in multiple choice question tests?
    SpecialEd Posts: 30, Reputation: 6

Jan 1, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by indecisivelucy
    my daughter is a high acheiving freshamn attending privates school in new york. She she has difficulty making decsions an is often paralyized by it. Is there anything that she can do
    The pressure on over achievers to maintain success is sometimes overwhelming. As the work get's harder, fear of failure (or disappointing loved ones/peers) sometimes will cripple decision making. [If I don't choose, I don't choose wrong.] Obviously, I do not know your daughter so this may not be the case. If it is, she may need to learn 'how to overcome failure'. This happens after failing, getting up and trying again, and again, and eventually succeeding. Just don't let her quit mid-stream.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search