Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhouse30 Posts: 306, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2010, 07:18 PM
    Reverse mortgage
    In your opinion, what are the advantages and disadvantages of reverse mortgages.

Also, could you include comments on what happens when you want to sell your house after you have accepted a reverse mortgage.

Thanks in advance.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 4, 2010, 01:08 PM

Here's a good article to give you info on reverse mortgages:

Reverse mortgage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pros - an easy to get money if you have equity in your house
    Con - expensive: high set up fees plus compounding of the loan loan makes it very expensive to get out if/when you sell your home.

When you sell, you have to pay back the lender - you pay back the money they've paid you, plus compounded interest, or they get the proceeds of the sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Any idea about. This Reverse Mortgage? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband who is going 68 this month,thought of this reverse mortgage.I lack an idea,advantages and disadvantages about. This in the future.Since I am on my fifties, I was told, I have to sign a quit claim in order for my husband to qualify.There's no problem with me signing it, if it's for the...

Should I get competitive offers on a Reverse mortgage? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a reverse mortgage approved (schedeuled to close next week), but I do not feel that I have been offered the best deal. Can anyone suggest a more (liberal) mortgage outfit to get an offer from? Also, I just read about the baloon option. My property appraises at $400,00 but is...

Reverse mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everybody, I am renting a house that is probate, the man died in December, he had a reverse mortgage on this house since 1994, he lived to be 99 years old, the original mortgage was brought by another bank, I need help in finding who bought the reverse mortgage, the son said it will go into...

Retired with a reverse mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in a similar position but retired with a reverse mortgage on a cheap small house. I see no way at this point of even making my minimum payments on $80K (mostly from emergencies and medical problems, no luxuries). Does anyone know if I could lose my house because of these debts? The only money...

Reverse mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

I know how reverse mortgage it works. But suppose the house is owned jointly by husband and wife. The husband is over 62. But the wife is not. What happens to the house if the husband dies. Since both names appear on the deed?

View more questions Search