Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wazir Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2010, 01:21 PM
    Strange smell in house
    In the last 6 weeks we have noticed a strange smell in our house, by the frontdoor and passage way. The smell comes and goes but can get quite strong. I can only describe it... don't laugh, as smelling of someone smoking cannabis. However no body in the house smokes. I first thought that it may be the neighbours and the smell was drifting through the walls? However now I don't think it is. I've been sniffing everything to track down the smell but to no avail. What could this be? I don't think it's gas, the central heating is off and why is it stronger by the front door and passage?
    The house is a 1930's terrace, in good condition and we have been living here for the past 4 years. Please help.
    Hexxie Posts: 152, Reputation: 12

Aug 3, 2010, 02:12 PM

Scents travel. It might be your next door neighbor, it might be someone down the road. Maybe keeping a log of it might help you determine the cause.
    Robert Gift Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

Aug 7, 2010, 04:44 AM

Yes, keep a log of when you detect the smell.
    Could it be when a neighbor arrives home from work and smokes marijuana?
    Could it be from house plants, inside or out?
    Only when it is warm or wet?
    Throw rug outgassing in heat from sun.

Have fun tracking it down and please tell us.
    Thank you.
    Robert

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange smell in my house [ 16 Answers ]

I have a strange smell in my house it started 1 week ago I thought it was coming from outr heater vents like a gas smell I called the fire dept they test for carbon monoxide there was none they said it smelt like ammonia or cat piss I smelled the carpets and cat pan no smell I let the house air out...

Strange smell in house [ 6 Answers ]

We have a strange smell in our house. It builds up when my wife and I are out of the house for a couple of hours or more. If one of us is home, when the other comes home there is no noticeable smell. We both have to be gone. It is weird. The smell is kind of a stale, unpleasant smell such as...

My house has a strange smell... Please HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a plumbing question. My house has a bad smell to it, and it is driving me crazy. Not sure where it is coming from. Have checked and there is a trap on every fixture and a 1.5" PVC pipe that goes through the roof for the vent. There is only 1 vent for the house and it is intended to vent 1...

Very strange smell in house [ 6 Answers ]

Hi :) , we've lived in our house six months now, and over the past few weeks, we've noticed a strange smell. The house is about 70 years old, carpets are about a year old, kitchen is all new, bathrooms fairly new. Some of the walls are anaglypta, and although they feel a little spongy underneath,...

Strange smell in & around house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! We live in an 83 yr. old Bungalow in Memphis, TN and there is this smell right when you come in the front door of the house. You can also smell it under the kitchen sink when you open the cabinet doors. Also, on one side of the house outside you get the odor too. It smells similar to...

View more questions Search