Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baseballtt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2010, 11:36 AM
    Noise from return air side of force air
    My house was totally remodeled and I upgraded with forced air and a heat pump. I have a supply vent in every room, yet only 2 return vents... one at each end of single story house.
    Only the return vent closes to the furnace makes an annoying whining sound (wa, wa, wa, wa... is only thing I can say it really sounds like). Does anyone have any suggestions to make this sound go away?
    When I shut down the entire system, the noise goes away. If only the fan is on, the sound comes back. Could there be a bearing of something going out on the fan? Or possibly something else?
    Please help before I lose my flipping mind!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 3, 2010, 03:02 PM

Yes, it could be a faulty motor, or out of balance wheel, but when a return grill is near the furnace, you will almost always hear the blower noise through the return. Was the noise always there since install, or is it a new occurrence? If it was always loud, Id say there isn't much you can do, other than insolate the inside of the return duct(may not help much). If it's a new occurrence, then I would definatley have the installers back to check blower assembly. Good luck and please let us know what you find.

Aug 3, 2010, 09:32 PM

Thank you... I'll get on it and let you know what's the solution!
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2010, 02:26 PM

Brand and model number please? I know of a few fixes for this sound for a few brands.

Aug 4, 2010, 06:06 PM

I'm really not sure if this is the info you're looking for but:

York Diamond 80
    G2FD Series

If not then please let me know what other info you need. Thank you very much for any advice!
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2010, 06:10 PM

Sorry, not sure. Design of ductwork is on possibility. Check filter, if that has an ECM motor it can wind way up to a very high speed if there is restrictions in the airflow.

Aug 15, 2010, 03:56 PM

So... called the AC guy and he stopped by. He listened to the sound and said he knew exactly what it was... pulled out some pliers and twisted the damn vent baffles... said it's kind of like if you blow on a blade of grass and make whistle noise from it. Haven't heard the noise since he bent them! Can't believe how easy of a fix that was and I never thought of that! Thanks for all your hints!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 16, 2010, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the update. Glad the noise is gone.. Good old harmonics.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

My cold air return blows cool air instead of sucking air [ 7 Answers ]

My cold air return blows cool air instead of sucking air

Return air noise [ 2 Answers ]

When the a/c comes on the return duct drop at filter buckles in and u can hear the blower

New A/C loud wind noise velocity on air return [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a vacation home on Eleuthera in the Bahamas (very pretty and very hot). The house is 1000 square feet inside with an exposed beam cathedral ceiling in the main room and 10 foot ceilings in the two bedrooms and a small hallway that connects all three rooms. The Bahamian builder put...

Noise from return air [ 3 Answers ]

There is loud noise coming from air return (12x12"). This one is at the ceiling in family room on first floor. So they cut another hole (same size) in laundry room which is behind family room to open another return using the same duct. There are still noises from both returns but better in...

View more questions Search