Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlieod Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2010, 08:00 AM
    10 shares of 1967 AT & T stock, value?
    My mother has AT & T stock certificate noting 10 shares and dated August 12, 1968. How can I verify that this certificate is of value. She is 90 years old & doesn't remember if these certificates were exchanged.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 3, 2010, 08:35 AM

Wow - AT&T has certainly been through many, many changes since 1967!

As AT&T Corp (the old AT&T, or "Ma Bell") spun off the seven Baby Bells in 1984, then Lucent and NCR in 1996, had a 3:2 stock split in 1999, spun off AT&T Wireless in 2001, spun off AT&T Broadband and did a 1:5 reverse stock split in 2002, before finally being bought by SBC, which then changed its name to "AT&T Inc" - the result is your grandmother's original 10 shares in AT&T Corp from 43 years ago I believe is now equivalent to 2.33826 shares of the new AT&T Inc. The value of that fractional share should have been paid to her in cash in 2005, leaving her with 2 shares of AT&T Inc. Her cost basis is 24.28% of her original purchase basis (the rest of the cost basis was transferred into her stock holdings in all the various spin-offs).

Heres' a handy calculator to help you see how AT&T's history affects her stock basis and number of shares: Cost Basis Worksheets for AT&T Corp.

She (or you) should contact AT&T Inc investor services to ask about converting those old AT&T Corp shares into new AT&T Inc shares. Contact information is here:
    Stockholder Inquiries - Investor Relations
    Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old shares or common stock [ 1 Answers ]

I have 143 shares of common stock from " North Pacific Products, Inc." President C.H.Cleveland. They are otherwise known as WHAMO toy products, Frisbees, Hula Hoops, Sling Shots, Crossbows and Kites. They were based in Bend, Oregon for many years and since the President Passed on, the company...

Stock price, stock trading and shares [ 2 Answers ]

Warnes Motors' stock is trading at $20 a share. Three-month call options with an exercise price of $20 have a price of $1.50. Which of the following will occur if the stock price increases 10% to $22 a share? a. The price of the call option will increase by $2. b. The price of the call option...

Shares of stock [ 2 Answers ]

What is called the total number of shares of stock the corporate charter permits the corporation to issue?

Issued shares of stock [ 1 Answers ]

What accounts would I debit and credit if I were sell 5oo shares of stock and transfer it to another stockholder for $5,000 cash?

View more questions Search