Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ldherrer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2010, 07:46 AM
    Hampton bay w/ built in remote not working!!
    We have a celing fan Hampton Bay. The fan is one with a built in remote receiver. The manual hand held control is not found so my thought was to get a universal remote control and install this myself. I went to Home Depot and bought one. I installed it, initially installed the wires to the fan & to the light backwards. I installed it with great difficulty since the canopy is really tight to install on the roof with the receiver installed. I turned on the wall switch, nothing. I hit the lights on switch on the remote (nothing happened). I then hit the low setting & saw the lights begin flickering (I was surprised), then hit the medium & high setting, to where I saw the light begin to flicker faster. I then realized the wires must be reversed. I took the fan down again, reversed the wires, then re-installed the fan in the ceiling. The lights now turn on again but the fan does not rotate. Could it be the fan does have a built in remote (since there is only one chain & that controls the lights on/off mode)? If there is a built in remote can I remove it myself and have the new receiver take its place or do I buy a new fan?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 06:49 PM

What wires did you have from the fan?

Aug 16, 2010, 06:15 AM
    I had a blue (assuming goes to fan motor), black (assuming light), white (ground). These are the color wires the fan came with. I will check the link you placed above.

Aug 16, 2010, 06:26 AM

I just read the wiring document link you placed previously and found that the white wire is the neutral. But I still don't know whether the wires from the fan are wired correctly. Initially, the fan without the remote I installed, was wired as follows. The Blue & black wire from the fan were wired to the hot (black lead) from the house & the white from the fan was to the white from the house. The remote that I bought has 5 wires. 3 leading to the fan & 2 leading to the hot house lead & neutral lead. The 3 wires leading to the fan are (blue, black & white). Should I wire the fan back up the way it was before leaving one of the remote wires out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay remote not quite working [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have two Hampton Bay fans with lights. They were probably intalled in 2001, I have never had any problems until just a couple days ago. When I dim the lights, they will only go to about 50 percent and then they shut off completely. They will turn back on once they are over 60 percent...

Hampton Bay remote no longer working [ 2 Answers ]

My remote control just stopped working the lights and fan. Batteries are not the problem. Light switches are on and the red light comes on the remote but fan and lights don't work. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Hampton Bay remote quit working [ 4 Answers ]

The light on the fan was turned off by the switch on the wall. After that the remote quit working. How do I fix it? Do I need to replace the sensor in the fan? Looking forward to reading your answers. Tracy

Hampton Bay remote control quit working [ 1 Answers ]

Help---our power was out for about 4 hours and when it came back on the light and fan was running--it was off before power went off. Now we cannot get the remote to turn on or off the fan or light. Is there a reset switch? Any suggestions?:confused:

Hampton Bay Fan Remote Not Working [ 2 Answers ]

:) Hi, I purchased a fan less than a year ago and the sensor on the remote seems to have gotten some kind of glitch. The little red sensor light stays on continuously, instead of going out after pressing a function. When I shut off the fan, and go to put the remote down, it starts up in high...

View more questions Search