Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alionline83 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Dec 19, 2006, 01:59 AM
    How to share one internet connection with two pcs?
    Assalam u ALikum and Hi,
    I have one cable net connection and I want to share it with two pcs. Both pcs are in same room, both P4s both have Windows XP and Lan cards. I think its not that impoirtant to tell but one at a time will use internet connection. How can I share the internet connection? Please list me the most economical solutions and as many as they are and with the exact description of the hardware that is necesarry for such networking. Will I be able to share local files amongst these PCs through this networking? Please reply asap its urgent.

Regards

Ali
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Dec 19, 2006, 10:26 AM
    You will need a router/switch to accomplish this. A router usually includes a firewall, and most include at least 4 ports to connect PC's. The router connects to the modem, and the two PC's would connect to the router. You would be able to access the files of the PC across the network. Both PC's would be able to access the internet at the same time.

You can get a router for as little as $30 USD. Here's some examples: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=28

This would be my personal recommendation: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124001
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Dec 19, 2006, 08:39 PM
    Northwind's reply is correct, as long as you are using high-speed internet that connects to one computer through the LAN card. There are many routers available for $20-$30 that will have a port for the high-speed modem, then four ports for individual computers. You will require one of these modems and a total of three LAN cables (all straight-through, no crossover cables).

To answer your other questions, if you set this up properly, there will be no problems in sharing files between computers.

If, on the other hand, you are using dial-up internet access, you're going to need a program on one of the computers to share it's connection with the other. I suspect, however, that this is not the case. If it is, reply here and we can probably dig up more suggestions for you.
    alionline83 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Dec 21, 2006, 03:10 AM
    Thanks all, my internet sharing problem is solved. I bought used switch for approx $6.5 with 8 ports and its working fine. But file sharing is not happening, one of my XP PC is showing sharing and securtiy option when I rightclick the drives but other is not. Please help me out on this. I bought a new PC with greater storage and want to transfer my digital photographs and movies (3.5 G) to that one. I hope that you can help me out on this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I share Internet Connection in Network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have once Pc and one Laptop.Both are connected through ethernet card and are running winxp.I have networked them both .Files are shared but Internet connection can't be shared. Please help me about this. ANd Thanks

Internet connection [ 6 Answers ]

Please forgive me for not knowing the proper terminology here. I hope you get the point. My question is I was wondering how come my internet works by the symbol at the bottom right hand corner of the screen that shows your internet connection is showing that it is not connected. The symbol...

Setup Server 2003 to share internet connection [ 4 Answers ]

I just recently installed Windows Server 2003 and I'm trying to get another computer to connect to the internet through the server. The server is hooked up to a router currently and I have installed the 2nd NIC to hook up the other computer. What steps do I need to go through to start getting...

Your Internet Connection Speed [ 8 Answers ]

Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I visited, it says I haven't been on since dec 6th, I was gone due to work, xmas shopping, and traveling. Anways I was wondering what kind of internet connection everyone uses. Back in my home in California I have cable internet, which is great and super...

Internet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Dear group I've a P4 1.7MHz PC with 128Mb RAM, loaded with WinXp OS. My problem is as soon as turning on my computer the IE is loading automatically and made a connection to my default home page, without any permission. What is the problem and how can I solve it? Any help will be thanked

View more questions Search