Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debrika Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 01:39 PM
    Can your lanlord change your lock (lock out) without going through the courts?
    I have a month to month lease and have been paying every month. My landlord is selling her condo and I have agreed to stay here until she sell and open my house for showing while I reside her but the agreement was it has to be convinent me and a 48hr notice. Well that has not been the case and the lanlord and I got into a disagreement now she tells me she just going to change the locks and lock me and my 3 on Sunday without going through any legal court. Can she do this?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2010, 02:04 PM

Hello d:

No she can't. Write your landlord a letter telling her that if she changes the locks, she'll be guilty of unlawful eviction and will open herself up to large civil penalties. Send your letter certified, return receipt requested. Send another copy by regular mail, and HAND deliver another copy.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2010, 02:04 PM

Not at all. Tell her if she does change the locks on you, you will have the police let you back in (and they will) and you will sue her for an illegal eviction.

Depending on where you live (any question about laws should include your general location as laws vary) and what the lease says, she has to give you 14 to 60 days notice to vacate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2010, 05:27 PM

As noted she can not do that. Please come back and let us know how it is working out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't turn on laptop, all caps lock,Num lock, scr. Lock lights are on [ 2 Answers ]

Can some one help me, please I don't know what did my kids do my sony laptop, now I can't turn it on. When I turn on the laptop, only power, battery and hard drive lights are on but the screen is not on at all. All caps lock, Num lock and Screen lock lights are on all the time, the laptop doesn't...

Fn on lock [ 3 Answers ]

How do I unlock my laptop keyboard. It is locked in numberlock. I find the fn key but do not find the numloc key?

Control lock [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with my monitor screen. Message 'control lock' always poping up. How to get rid of this? Please help me

Air lock or hammer lock [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering how I can rememdy hammer lock or airlock? I think that is what it is. I just bought this house that has been sitting for 3 months unoccuppied. I connected my washer and when the washer starts to cycle by pulling water to the unit, I hear this bang evertime it purges water. ...

View more questions Search