Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2010, 11:16 PM
    Legal to charge for a cup of water?
    I've always heard that it was illegal for places to charge for a cup of water, that they could only charge for bottled water. Is this true in California? I was out the other night and asked for a cup of water and was told it was 25 cents. Normally I wouldn't care about such a small amount, but I was already irritated with the poor service in general in the place.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2010, 05:50 AM

Hello j:

It's not illegal for them to charge you for water.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2010, 06:44 AM

There was a time when glasses of water were put on the table when patrons sat down to dine. Now that practice is discouraged as it essentially wastes water. By legally charging 25 cents it is a way for the restaurant to not waste water especially since this is California. The glass must be washed after you use it and that wastes water - so charging you 25 cents sounds about right.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2010, 06:50 AM

Most stores in manhattan will charge you for water.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2010, 07:49 AM

While many places will provide a glass of water with a meal and other drinks , some do not. You did not mention the level of eating place you were at, but a real glass has to be clean, there is a percentage that after so many usages it gets broken and has to be replaced. The cost ( ever how small) of the ice and water, the cost of the waiter to bring it, refill it and of course cleaning the glass.

At the McDonalds level, you have the cost of the paper cup, the cost of the number of people who cheat them by filling it with soda, and so on.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2010, 07:59 AM

Hello again, j:

All of the above is true. There IS a cost attached to "free" water. It's just like the cost attached to advertising. It's money one invests into ones image. Clearly, the NEGATIVE image for NOT providing a free glass of water, well outweighs the few pennies a lousy glass of water and a smile costs. J's post is evidence of that.

MOST business's DON'T realize that. That's why they go OUT of business and I don't.

excon
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2010, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, j:

All of the above is true. There IS a cost attached to "free" water. It's just like the cost attached to advertising. It's money one invests into ones image. Clearly, the NEGATIVE image for NOT providing a free glass of water, well outweighs the few pennies a lousy glass of water and a smile costs. J's post is evidence of that.

MOST business's DON'T realize that. That's why they go OUT of business and I don't.

excon

yes, it was more the attitude that came with the charging (and every other aspect of the evening) that made me upset. But good service can't be enforced :( at least now I know just not to take my business there in the future and find someplace that values customer service.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2010, 02:40 PM

Yes, it's legal. When my two kids were small, I would order one meal and split it between them, or give them food off their dad's and my plates. The restaurants nearly always charged us a quarter (or more) for a clean, empty plate for each kid, and this was back in the '70s.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2010, 06:49 PM

When I used to own a restaurant, at first, I didn't charge for water. However, as the months passed by, more and more people would just simply come in, ask for some water, and leave.

Granted, the cost of a cup (roughly $0.03) is minuscule, if 100 people came in weekly to ask for a cup of water and leave, it would cost me at least $3 a week.

Not only that, they would ask for a water, then go to the soda fountain while no one was looking and grab some soda. I even had a few customers who would get water, grab some lemons from the beverage area, grab some sweeteners from the tables, and make themselves a lemonade right in front of me.

Since then, I started charging for water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can NYC owner charge for hot water? [ 5 Answers ]

My friend just moved into an apartment in Queens New York. Now in addition to the rent, the landlord says she has to pay $100 per month for hot water and another $100 per month for gas. I know gas and electric may not be included with the rent, but I thought hot water could not be billed...

What is the legal limit a Landlord can charge for a pet fee in PA? [ 3 Answers ]

My landlord has given me permison to have a pet and says I have to pay one months rent as a deposit for the pet. I have already paid her 1st, last and 1 month security deposit. I work with others who have only charged $300.00 and I would be willing to pay that amount but she wants more than double...

Mobile home park decides to charge for water but contract says they pay it: [ 1 Answers ]

My wife's parents live in a mobile home park and they say that they have been notified that they will have to start paying for water a whopping 48 bucks a month (a lot for a fixed income person) and next year 91 bucks. They do have a rental contract for space rent as do all the tenants that says...

Is it legal for TX apts to charge late fee PLUS concession fee? [ 2 Answers ]

I have lived in my apt complex going on 5 years. Last month I was late paying my rent a couple of days because I was out of town on business. When I got back and called to get the total amount due, it was an outrageously high amount of money. When I asked him to break down the charges, he said...

Legal to charge only 1 roommate for damages? Pet fees? [ 1 Answers ]

1.) If a pet does damage to an apartment that is beyond the amount paid for a non-refundable pet fee, is it legal by Florida law for a landlord to keep the money and NOT apply it to any of the damages? They circled this quote on the pet addendum when I asked them to deduct the fee from the...

View more questions Search