Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 31, 2010, 04:12 PM
    Stove wiring using SE cable
    Using SE 3 conductor SE cable for 50 amp stove wiring. Cable labeled 3 conductor 6 AWG. Two insulated hot conductors and uninsulated bare wire. Is it permissible to use bare conductor as neutral. Installation instructions permit wiring as 3 wire or 4 wire.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 31, 2010, 04:45 PM

The uninsulated conductor in the SEU cable you describe IS a neutral, but...
    This is not legal for a new range circuit. Hasn't been for several code cycles now.
    You must use SER cable with three insulated conductors and a bare ground.

Jul 31, 2010, 06:35 PM

Not a new circuit, just a new stove. Don't want to pull new cable unless I have to.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 31, 2010, 07:17 PM

Oh, for existing circuit you are still fine.

Jul 31, 2010, 07:40 PM

Thanks Stan. That was what I thought but I wanted to be sure. I know what I don't know. I wanted to be sure so I ask you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical stove wiring [ 1 Answers ]

My main switch circuit breaker trips when I switch on my 4 plate electrical stove

220 wiring to stove crossing plumbing.is it OK? [ 3 Answers ]

Tearing apart the kitchen and after removing the sheet rock noticed that the 220 wire powering the range crosses behind the sink. So the hot/cold water lines and the main vent/sewage stack are all enclosed in the same space. Is this OK, doesn't seem right to inexperienced me. Should the 220...

Wiring thermostat to wood burning stove [ 1 Answers ]

Thank You Mike, What I did was just hooked up a squirrel cage with a motor to the wood burner. Now I want to make it run off a thermostat. Just have the two wires coming off the motor.

Wiring thermostat to wood burning stove [ 1 Answers ]

I have a wood burning stove in my pole barn. I have add a blower to it and want to control the blower to turn on & off by way of a thermostat. Could anyone help me with this?

Wiring a small electric stove [ 1 Answers ]

I am putting in a small electric stove I have lots of space in my breaker panel for additional circuits. The stove is about 75 feet from the panel. It is a 220 stove. What wire type/size should I use? What breaker size? The area in unfinished so I can wire along/thru the ceiling joists. Also how...

View more questions Search