Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jul 31, 2010, 08:10 AM
    Non-Christian working for the Church
    I am a Unitarian Universalist Pagan who works for the Catholic Church. I love my job and the people I work with. However, occasionally--and naturally--issues of religion come up. I am invited to attend liturgy services, asked to lead prayer, and sometimes dance around questions about my 'background.' They know I'm not Catholic, and are OK with it--it is not required of my position, and there are about 3 other non-Catholics working there as well. However, they do NOT know I am not Christian, and certainly do not know I am Pagan. I am curious what might happen should the full truth every come out. I am certainly not going to ever volunteer this info and do not feel it is something I need to get off my chest, but should I be seen by a coworker at a Pagan gathering in a public park, I might very well find myself being asked some difficult questions.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2010, 08:32 AM

Hard to say what might happen. You may find there is not much change, you may find there is some curiosity about your practices, after all some Christian practices have sort of morphed over time with Pagan practices. It could actually lead to some pretty interesting discussions! Hopefully it wouldn't be an issue for most.

If questions do happen to come up, obviously respond with honest answers.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 31, 2010, 08:32 AM

In theory, your not being Catholic should not be an issue.

The fact that you are an avowed Pagan, should also not be a factor for the position you hold. If religion is not required for that position.

However, on a more moral ground, your being asked to lead prayers to a God you do not believe in would make those prayers a travesty to yourself. Is there any way you can decline to participate in these prayer sessions?

Also, I am not real familiar with the term Pagan. I know and understand the term, but you do not describe how you understand the term.

I am a cradle born Catholic. So was my sister, however, she has become a "Wiki" something or other. I understand her to be a Pagan, but there is also Pagan in terms of followers of Lucifer.

Another question for you, please. Why do you choose to surround yourself with people who in no way think the way you do? And in surroundings that are in direct conflict with your belief system.

I have an idea, why not convert to Catholicism, I hear there is an opening for more Catholics right where you are working! :)
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jul 31, 2010, 08:54 AM

Thanks for your answer Don, and I'll answer some of your questions. Pagan is an umbrella term much like Christian--there are many different types of Christianity and there are many type of Paganism. I suspect your sister is "Wican" which is indeed a Pagan path. My 'Path' is not so easy designated with such a label, and it would be a lengthy discussion to hash out what my beliefs entail. But to the point, I believe in a universal deity, and do not believe in the Devil, Lucifer, or other anti-god evil force.

That being said, I have no moral quandary over leading prayer to God, so long as I do not do so in Jesus' name. The few times I have lead prayer, I have not mentioned Jesus, and there seems to be no problem with that. (Catholics seem to have a wide definition as to what constitutes a prayer.)

As for choosing to surround myself with people who in no way think the way I do, I'm not sure there is any place I could go where I would surrounded by people with similar ideas on religion.

Catholicism is NOT the right path for me. ;)

Jul 31, 2010, 09:24 AM

Northwind,

You are just saying that because you are living in Louisville!

If you lived in Lexington, like we did for 15 years you would think differently. Yuk! Yuk!

Thanks for the clarifications. We Catholics believe in the Holy Trinity.

You as a Pagan believe in one God or do you have multiple Gods?

As you define Paganism, I would have no problem with you working along side of me. Nor do I suspect the Church in principle would either. I does not sound to me as though you are trying to convert Catholics to your point of view. To me that would be a serious matter because you would be in conflict with the core teachings being passed on.

My personal belief is that God is there for all to find.

I once read a book called Sent George. It was centered around a man having conversations with a dragon.

During one conversation God is talking to His helpers and He asks them how He could possibly send His words and thoughts to Mankind.

Well the minions (my choice of words) scramble around with studies on the language to use the fonts to use even the type of paper. Finally, God say to them that He choose to become the ink. That way all could write His words and All would know their meanings.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2010, 01:01 PM

Many non catholics work for churches in all types of positions.
    The issue would not be as much to your work, but how others interact with you. It may be hard for some to "know" how to talk to you if they knew. Like people when they get cancer, people often avoid them since they don't know what to say.

As for as prayers, merely say you would prefer not to.
    I would not pray with a church group with a similar name of yours when they prayed to a mother goddess. Now it cost my wife her job when I would not, but that is a choice I would do again to stand for my values
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2010, 04:24 PM

Employers cannot discriminate against workers on the basis of their religion and I am assumed that churches are the same as any other employer--theoretically--but this link claims they can.
    ECFA Religious Discrimination in Hiring

Aug 1, 2010, 06:18 AM

I do not believe that it wold be discrimination for a Church to require that a practicing Catholic hold a particular a position, for example teaching children about our belief system.

If the position is a non-secular position say teaching Math, then I agree, with you that it would be to discrimination to fire this person solely because he is a Pagan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Hindu girl marry a Christian without getting converted in a church? [ 22 Answers ]

Hi I know that this is going to be a little long question. But I want get all my doubts clarified ASAP. Plzzzzzz help! I am a Hindu girl and I'm planning to marry a christian guy. After years of struggle, we have finally convinced our parents and they are now ready to c us married. The main...

Flowers to the funeral home for viewing or to the Church for Christian burial? [ 3 Answers ]

We live out of state and just heard of an unfortunate passing of a loved one. We would like to send flowers to the family. The viewing at the funeral home is on Sunday. As most of you are aware, most florists are closed on Sunday's. Do I order them to be delivered on Saturday and let the...

Should a Christian allow those taking the lead in the Church such as Ministers be gay [ 122 Answers ]

I believe that no man or women should ever be allowed to serve as a minster or a leader of any church that represents God. Why? To be frank, the Bible condemns homosexuality. No amount of verbal hocus-pocus can make scriptures like Leviticus 18:22 and Romans 1:26, 27 disappear. 1 Corinthians...

Early Christian Church [ 1 Answers ]

Name the two most important leaders of the early Christian church.

View more questions Search