Aug 4, 2010, 10:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLCAM View Post
    an eye !!
    Yes.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 10:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexxie View Post
    Not Richard, but you are getting closer. (the III is correct)
    Was there a Henry III? Well, of course there was if there was a Henry VIII. But I don't know anything about him.

The problem is that I really don't get the riddle. I don't even remember what you said that made me think of Henry. But there isn't anything in the riddle that's giving away to me who it would be.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 10:47 PM
    [QUOTE=Hexxie;2467193][QUOTE=morgaine300;2465756]
    Matt: The sum of their ages is the same as my house number.

I'm stuck at this part. :confused:
    It might help to know why you're stuck. Are you not getting how you could know what would be his house number? Cause you wouldn't and you don't need to.

What you have to think about is that he knows his house number but still doesn't know the ages of the sons.
    Hexxie Posts: 152, Reputation: 12

Aug 5, 2010, 12:37 AM

Here's what I have so far:

36+1+1=38
    18+2+1=21
    12+3+1=16
    9+4+1=14
    9+2+2=13
    6+6+1=13
    6+3+2=11
    4+3+3=10

Aug 5, 2010, 01:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    The problem is that I really don't get the riddle. I don't even remember what you said that made me think of Henry. But there isn't anything in the riddle that's giving away to me who it would be.

A king sits at a table with three glasses in front of him. Two of the glasses are full; one with rum and one with ale. What is the king's name?
    This riddle is a conundrum.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 01:58 AM

Wow, I had to look up the word conumdrum. The meaning I know is that it doesn't have a definitive answer, like my albatross puzzle. But I see it also says a play on words. I guess this is a play on words.

It did occur to me that the third glass was actually a pair of glasses like you sit on your face, or even a monicle. But you said the III was right, which could be the 3 glasses.

Does this require any actual knowledge of kings? Otherwise I think this has just gone over my head.
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 04:11 AM

What is the king's name?

GUESS - Duncan

Aug 5, 2010, 11:53 AM
    Wow, I had to look up the word conumdrum. The meaning I know is that it doesn't have a definitive answer, like my albatross puzzle. But I see it also says a play on words. I guess this is a play on words.

It did occur to me that the third glass was actually a pair of glasses like you sit on your face, or even a monicle. But you said the III was right, which could be the 3 glasses.

Does this require any actual knowledge of kings? Otherwise I think this has just gone over my head.
    According to Webster's Dictionary, one of the meanings of
    "conundrum" is a riddle who's answer is a pun.

And no, no actual knowledge of kings needed.

Would you like the answer now?
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 12:03 PM
    words?
    Paris in the Spring

Edit:
    Never mind didn't know there was a second page to this thread. Disregard

Aug 5, 2010, 12:09 PM
    Here's what I have so far:

36+1+1=38
    18+2+1=21
    12+3+1=16
    9+4+1=14
    9+2+2=13
    6+6+1=13
    6+3+2=11
    4+3+3=10
    Morgaine,

Help me! Where do I go from here?
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 04:34 PM

OK, the man has concluded from the first statement what the possible combinations of numbers were, as you did. Then with the second statement, he figures the additions with those numbers as you have. He obviously knows his own house number, right? If he knows his own house number, what reason is in there that he still doesn't know the answer?

Aug 6, 2010, 11:36 PM

Oh, shoot! Duh.:p

The ages are 9,2, and 2.

That one stumped me. I think I blew a gasket figuiring it out. Got stuck at that one point and just couldn't see past it.

I did get it didn't I? (Please say yes, even if I'm wrong.. . I can't keep going with it -lol).
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 01:26 AM

You're correct. And no I'm not lying to make you feel better. (I hope you didn't end up in the ER with that there gasket thingy.)

Aug 9, 2010, 12:09 PM
    You're correct. And no I'm not lying to make you feel better. (I hope you didn't end up in the ER with that there gasket thingy.)
    Thanks for the well wishes, feeling much better now. You know how sometimes you just get hung up on something and can't see past it? I just couldn't see the forest. ;)

Thanks for getting me through it.
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 02:21 PM

Looks like this thread has pretty well pooped out, but I've got lots more if anyone gets back in the mood one of these days. Just give a shout.

Aug 13, 2010, 01:58 PM
    I need to come up with a difficult one for you, yet I am now tired. Alright, I'll give it one more shot:

A king sits at a table with three glasses in front of him. Two of the glasses are full: one with rum and one with ale. What is the king's name?
    For Morgaine:

Phillip the III
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 02:42 PM

I don't get it. Which is probably why I couldn't solve it.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 04:45 PM

Never mind. My brother had to explain it to me. But he heard it verbally. I just glanced at it and never really "read it" to myself.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2010, 06:28 PM

OK, here's one for the language lovers:

There is a common English word that is nine letters long. Each time you remove a letter from it, it still remains an English word - from nine letters right down to a single letter. What is the original word, and what are the words that it becomes after removing one letter at a time?

Whoever gets this wins one free year of AMHD membership. :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Here's another riddle! [ 3 Answers ]

What gets wetter and wetter the more it dries? Rick

A riddle for you [ 446 Answers ]

Let's see who can solve it. While exploring the wild highlands of Scotland, Crazy Rob was captured by hostile wood fairies. Smazze, the powerful chief of the fairies told him he could make one final statement which would determine how he would die. If the statement he made was false, he...

I need help with a riddle [ 2 Answers ]

There is a woman who needs to get three things across a waterfall corn feed, a chicken, and a fox but she can only take them one at a time. And the fox can't stay with the chicken because he will eat the chicken and the chicken can't stay with the corn feed because it will eat the corn feed. How...

I think this is a riddle. [ 13 Answers ]

Five people want a photographer to take pictures of every possible group of three of them. How many different photos will the photographer need to take?:confused:

Riddle me this. [ 2 Answers ]

A boat is moored to a pier with a ladder hanging over the side and into the water. The rungs on the ladder are spaced 12 inches apart, and 4 rungs are visible above the waterline. It is 3:30 PM and the tide is rising at a rate of 5 inches per hour. How many rungs will be visible at 10:15 PM?

View more questions Search