Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zuluwarrior Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 06:35 PM
    My wife is the primary on the mortgage but wants to leave
    My girlfriend is the primary on the mortgage but she left. How can I put the house in my name. I haven't missed a payment and can easily afford the mortgage will the finance company put the house in my name. I am currently not working but will be soon. I have enough money in the bank to hold me over until I start working again.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2010, 07:31 AM

If the mortgage is in her name, can we assume the deed is in her name too>?

If so, the answer is no, since she owns the house, not you. You will have to buy or otherwise transfer ownership of the house from her.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2010, 07:43 AM

Hello z:

Steve is right. But she ought to do it, because her credit is on the line if you miss a payment. It'll probably cost a couple hundred $$'s.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 2, 2010, 09:29 AM

Just to add - if your plan is to stay in the house, and assuming for a second that the house is actually yours (even though your wife - or was it your girl friend? - was paying the mortgage) then you will have to get a new mortgage in your name only. If you have no steady income that will be tough, even though you may have enough savings to pay it for a while. So you should either (a) plan on moving out and selling the house, or (b) work a deal where your ex-GF/wife pays the mortgage and you reimburse her.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 2, 2010, 09:35 AM

The question is no who is on the mortgage, but who is on the deed. Mortgages can be refinanced, but it's the titleholder that matters.

Aug 2, 2010, 11:31 AM
    How can my ex girlfriend get off the title and mortgage
    I asked this question earlier but I phrased it wrong. My ex girlfriend is the primary on the mortgage. I'm not sure about the title but I'm assuming she's first on that also. My name is on everything also but since she made more money at the time we put her name first She wants out of the whole thing. Is it possible to get her name off everything concerning the house without refinancing because when she left she also left all the bills and now my credit is messed up. Thank you for your earlier answers I just wanted to clarify my question. She wants out of the whole deal but I want to keep the house in my name only. Thanks.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 2, 2010, 11:56 AM

In general, it's best to add clarifying information to the original thread, rather than starting a new question, as it's easier for people to follow the conversation that way.

The original post is here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/mortga...ve-493470.html

You still need to clarify whether you are joint owners with your ex-GF or not. If she was on the mortgage it seems likely that you are joint owers, but you need to make sure. Assuming you are joint owners: you can either (a) work together to sell the house, retire the mortgage and split whatever proceeds are left over, or (b) buy your ex-GF's portion of the house from her, at some agreed-to price. In either case your GF gets out of the mortgage obligation and receives whatever equity out of the house is hers. The problem is that if your credit is bad you may not be able to do (b), so you may have no choice but to sell the house(unless you have another friend lined up who is willing to co-sign on a new mortagge with you).

Now, if by some strange circumstance your ex-GF is NOT on the deed but IS on the mortgage - then you're sitting pretty! It would have been stupid for her to agree to that, but stranger things have happened. In this case you can just sit there, maybe work a deal where you pay her a monthly amount to cover her mortgage obligation, but don't refinance under your name until your credit improves.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 2, 2010, 11:59 AM

I've merged your threads for you. In the future please use the Answer This Questions options to add follow-up.

As I said, the key here is how the title is worded. If you are joint owners, then you need to buy her out which means a refinancing. That's the only way you will get her name off.

Aug 2, 2010, 12:34 PM

Thank you very much guys!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2010, 06:12 PM

Yes, if you don't know about the DEED ( not title) go to the court house and find out first who even owns the house. If she owns it and your name is not on it, then you would have to buy it from her. It is not as much as who is on the mortgage, as who is on the deed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial Mortgage Short Sell Unconditional Guarantor Primary Residence [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a rather large piece of commercial property 5 years ago the banks holding a 1.86M that just matured. They no longer wish to finance me and have given me a 6 months forbearance term sheet. I have an unconditional guarantee against the note. They have ordered a quik sale appraisal. If the...

Mortgage interest deduction on primary foreign residence [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We are US expats in Dubai. We are Bona Fide Residents of Dubai, UAE and file a US 1040 (and utlize the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion). This is a two part question. One - can we deduct the Mortgage Interest on the home? Can't find anything in IRS Publications that states 'where' the...

Can the primary mortgage holder be evicted. [ 8 Answers ]

1) Can the primary mortgage holder be evicted by the secondary mortgage holder. 2)If the secondary mortgage holder has contributaled little to nothing to mortagage, taxes, & utilities can the primary go to civil court to have the secondary mortgage holder removed from the mortgage Confused:...

Removing ex-wife from credit card who is a primary holder [ 3 Answers ]

I divorced my wife 7 years ago, but have been using joint credit cards which was opened while we were married. Ex-wife is the primary credit card holder and has never used the card since the divorce. I have been using the card for the past 5 years after the divorce and she is now asking to have...

View more questions Search