Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hbrandon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 04:54 PM
    What is blowing fuse on my Yardman riding mower?
    Fuse blows as soon as the switch is moved to the "on" position. There is a switch on the mower deck I unplugged and one on the clutch pedal that I unplugged individually and that did not help. The only items left are is a component below the switch that is between the positive terminal on the battery and the starter, the switch, and the starter itself. Are there some tests I can make with my multimeter to find out which of these items are causing the problem?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 1, 2010, 11:06 AM

Hi,
    My guess is the swich is shorted internally. It is only a guess, but it is where I would go next. Give a model number and I may be able to tell you how to test or at least the part number.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    hbrandon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2010, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    My guess is the swich is shorted internally. It is only a guess, but it is where I would go next. Give a model number and I may be able to tell you how to test or at least the part number.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    You're right in a sense. It was a dead short at the switch, but a wiring goof on my part, in part.
    When I removed the battery for replacement I put a black wire from the switch on the negative terminal of the battery. After revealing the wire harness and drawing a schematic I realized the black wire needed to be on the positive post of the battery. I've since tagged the wire and no one should make this mistake again. Thanks for responding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray riding mower fuse location [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the fuse located on a murray riding mower

MTD Yardman Riding Mower Won't Start [ 7 Answers ]

I have a MTD Yardman riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine. It will not start. First, I have just installed a new battery. When you turn the ignition nothing happens. I have checked all the wires and connections, but can't find anything wrong. It seems to me that it's got to be the...

Fuse on 46" - murray riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

The fuse on my murray riding lawn mower (46") keeps going out. Do I just look for a short in a wire somewhere or does this indicate another problem?

Yardman Riding Mower won't start! [ 4 Answers ]

The following is my sad tale of woe: we got an MTD Yardman 12.5 HP riding mower about three years ago (used) and it always worked like a charm! In August, we transported it, on a pickup truck with ramps, to our new home! Since that day, it absolutely will not start. We have gotten a new...

View more questions Search