Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bleyva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Do baby's get testes for marijuana at birth
    Im a 20 year old female that smokes marijuana a lot got pregnant and can't quit so I want to know if my baby will get tested for it and get tooken away?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2010, 11:45 AM

Hello b:

I've never heard of a doctor testing a newborn in order to bust the mother. I don't think doctors do that.

But, I'd certainly CALL 'em up and ASK them BEFORE I went in. If they do, I can't imagine they'd lie about. IF they think being a narc is GOOD, they're probably PROUD of it.

excon
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2010, 12:13 PM

No, they do not get tested.

Now, if your baby is born premature or has lung damage because of your poor choice, they will want an accurate history of health.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2010, 12:18 PM

How about just stop smoking right now?

Think of your child's health.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 30, 2010, 12:28 PM

Okay, this is coming from an L&D nurse.

Mothers get tested if there is suspected drug abuse.

You come into the hospital in labor and have to give a urine sample. We usually do a CCUA (clean catch urine analysis) to determine if there are any infections such as a UTI or trich. If suspected, we also do a UDS (urine drug screen).

We do this so that we know what to expect with the baby as the baby WILL go through withdrawals. If the test comes up positive, many areas do indeed do a MDS (meconium drug screen) on the baby to determine if the baby is affected.

In some areas of the country many hospitals do report this directly to DHS. It is then DHS's call to remove the child from the parent or not.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2010, 12:30 PM

Stop smoking. Other than the fact that it is illegal, you could be harming your child. Go on line and research the effects of marijuana on an unborn baby.

I do hope you quit. Good Luck

Keep that little one safe.

http://www.helium.com/items/1188977-...e-unborn-child - 79k

Here is a link.
    Expert

Jul 30, 2010, 12:49 PM

The baby will be small. Rarely more than 6 pounds. The baby will also go through withdrawal that will include constant and high pitched crying and jitters. This is just for marijuana, I could get more detailed with other drugs.

It's just sad to see a person think of themselves and not worry about their unborn child.
    Expert

Jul 30, 2010, 01:09 PM

Kit honey, I know this because I DO this. This is how I make my living.

I've seen babies addicted to marijuana, crack, coke and meth. It's not a pretty sight.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2010, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Kit honey, I know this because I DO this. This is how I make my living.

I've seen babies addicted to marijuana, crack, coke and meth. It's not a pretty sight.
    Oh that hurts my heart for these infants. I'm so glad you do what you do. I don't think I could do it. OP please read this and stop the Marijuana. Do you have other children? I hope there is someone like J there when this baby is born.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marijuana Usage & Birth Defects [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I want to try to get pregnant. I know that my daily marijuana usage can affect my sperm count. This does not concern me as much as the potential for our child to have birth defects. My question is "Can my marijuana usage lead to birth defects?" My wife does not use marijuana.

View more questions Search