Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djcvet Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 07:15 AM
    Researching for a new desktop computer
    I am in the process of replacing my old HP desktop with a new unit. My current desktop is operating with Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002 Service Pack 3. I'm not sure it is a 32 bit or 64 bit but I assume being a 2002 model it is probably a 32 bit. If I buy a new PC with Windows 7, will I be able to transfer everything over from my current PC to the new PC without any problem?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 30, 2010, 07:55 AM

Depends on what you define as everything. You can check the Windows compatibility listings on Microsoft's site to determine if there is any software that won't run under Win 7.

All your data files should transfer over.
    happy.face Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 10:31 AM

Yes, generally you will. There's a compatibility mode on win7 that you can run other windows software.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2010, 10:59 AM

Aparently Micosoft has some sort of free transfer agent

You also may have to upgrade to Win 7 professional to run XP based programs.

XP programs that directly access the hardware probably will not run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to unlock desktop computer [ 1 Answers ]

How to unlock desktop

Using a wireless aircard on a desktop computer [ 1 Answers ]

I am really comuter illiterate, but here goes. I have a verizon PC 5750 aircard,and I would like to be able to use it on my desktop computer. Is there a way to do that? An adapter of some sort?

Laptop to Desktop Computer- how do I share files [ 5 Answers ]

I want to know how to setup the laptop so it can share and get files from my desktop.. I know you have to set directories to share but I can't remember how to do the whole thing. Thanks Marv

Shock from Desktop Computer [ 2 Answers ]

I have been getting small shocks from the case of my desktop computer,(especially the screws that hold the cover on). Where can I look to correct this problem? I have tried changing cords and plugs, and this does not seem to help, so I would guess that it has something to do with the computer...

Connecting a GPS to Desktop Computer [ 1 Answers ]

How can I have my desktop computer communicate with my GPS? My computer is a Dell Dimension 8200 running windows XP version 5.1 with SP 1. My GPS is a Garmin eTrex Vista that needs to connect to the desktop to upload & download information from MapSource (v 4.07) software via a serial cable. ...

View more questions Search