Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kid_man Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 05:55 PM
    Is there a specific form in Maryland to make a Motion to Vacate Judgement
    I had settled a debt with the Atty representing the debt collector prior to the court date. They advised me that there was no need to show up in court, as they will not be there.

Today, I got notice from the court that an Affidavit of Judgement in favor of the Plaintiff was given. Neither myself or the atty for the Plaintiff showed up at court (according to the court records). I contacted the atty for the Plaintiff and he told me to make a Motion to Vacate Judgement. I have a the proof of payment and a copy of the Motion to Dismiss from the Plaintiff which was signed and dated the date of the hearing.

Is there a specific form to make my Motion to Vacate Judgement in Maryland?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2010, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_man View Post
    I had settled a debt with the Atty representing the debt collector prior to the court date. They advised me that there was no need to show up in court, as they will not be there.

Today, I got notice from the court that an Affidavit of Judgement in favor of the Plantiff was given. Neither myself or the atty for the Plantiff showed up at court (according to the court records). I contacted the atty for the Plantiff and he told me to make a Motion to Vacate Judgement. I have a the proof of payment and a copy of the Motion to Dismiss from the Plantiff which was signed and dated the date of the hearing.

Is there a specific form to make my Motion to Vacate Judgement in Maryland?
    This is what I've found:
    http://www.mdd.uscourts.gov/publications/forms/2255.pdf

Fill it out to the best of your ability; send it to the court when you're finished. Make sure you include copies of everything showing that the account has indeed been paid off, including copies of cancelled checks if you have them.

I find it odd that a default judgment was granted against you if the plaintiff's attorney failed to appear. Usually if the plaintiff/their attorney is not in court, they will dismiss the case. Very strange.
    cutetrinilawyer Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Nov 23, 2013, 11:52 AM
    It Is not odd for a default to be granted if the Plaintiff does not appear. The Plaintiff need not appear if they filed the complaint by affidavit. If the Defendant files an answer, then there will be trial and both parties will have to appear. But if the Defendant doesn't answer then the Plaintiff does not need to appear for trial and the Judge will review the complaint, affidavit and supporting documents and decide if to enter an affidavit judgment against the Defendant or schedule an ex parte hearing for the Plaintiff to submit further proof of their claim. Again, this only applies to complaints filed by affidavit.

(Side note: If the Defendant and the attorney settled the matter before trial, the attorney should have notified the court by filing a dismissal. That was a bit sneaky on their part... )
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2013, 04:38 PM
    File "MOTION TO VACATE SUMMARY JUDGMENT"

Attached your paper work form your settlement. No specific form needed.

Fill request to verification of why summary judgment was granted since either party was present. What county was this in?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 27, 2013, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384
    Wrong court, and wrong type of action. The form to which you linked is for the Federal District Court for Maryland. I expect that OP's case is in a state court.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Yet
    File "MOTION TO VACATE SUMMARY JUDGMENT"

Attached your paper work form your settlement. No specific form needed.
    OP should also include, with the filed motion, proof that a copy was mailed to plaintiff's attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motion to vacate final judgement [ 2 Answers ]

On 04/11/2010, I received a letter in the mail stating "Default Final Judgement" with all the signatories on it. On 04/12/2010 I went to the Miami Dade court house (Circuit Court) to find out what this was all about and they gave me the file. I was being sued by Amex for not paying the bill. I...

How do I do a motion to vacate a judgement [ 9 Answers ]

I never received court papers to show up to court about my capital one bill. I have been disputing it for a long time. With no luck. All of a sudden a forster and garbus come after me. They say the would settle for 1300. But will check to see if they would accept 800 settlement offer. Within...

Motion to vacate judgement [ 1 Answers ]

Can I file a motion to vacate a judegement against me?

Motion to vacate judgement [ 1 Answers ]

All my money in my bank accounts are currently frozen due to a judgement. The collection agency is demanding I pay the total amount due up front. I do not have this money. I called the courts and they said I need to file a motion to vacate the judgement. I am willing to let them garnish my...

View more questions Search