Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pumpkin88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 12:07 PM
    How can a biological father get out of paying child support?
    My daughters biological father does not want any rights to her and is OK with my current boyfriend to adopt her, but I'm not sure she can be adopted as we are not married or living together? What other opptions do we have? I don't want her biological father to pay child support or have any rights to her!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 29, 2010, 12:12 PM

First, this is a legal question not an Adoption question and has been moved to this forum. Please be more careful in the future with choosing an appropriate forum to post in.

You need to consult a Family Attorney in your area. Most areas do require that a couple be married before a step parent adoption will be granted. You will, generally need an attorney to draw up the adoption paperwork which will include a relinquishment of rights from the bio father. So consulting with an attorney should be your first step to learn what requirements there are.

Without an adoption the bio father will continue to have a father's rights.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2010, 12:13 PM

Until the child is adopted by another parent, the biological father will maintain parental rights and be subject to pay child support.
    I most, if not all, states, you have to be married at least a year before your spouse would be allowed to adopt the child and the biological father could relinquish his rights.
    Now, even though the biological father has parental rights, it doesn't mean he has to exercise them.
    Do you already have child support established in the court system?
    If not, you could just come to an agreement that he doesn't want any involvement with the child and you don't want any child support.
    But even doing that, at any time, either of you could file for child support or visitation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father paying child support [ 3 Answers ]

Can a father that gets ssi still have to pay child support. He can work but he don't want to. I have 4 kids and he don't pay.

Ex-husband, not biological father, not paying child support [ 3 Answers ]

My ex-husband, with permission from the biological father, signed my sons birth certificate when he was 5 months old. When he was 16 months old we were divorced. Now my son is 10 yrs old and I have been remarried for 6 years. My ex-husband wanted to support my son and told the judge this and was...

Is a biological mother responsible to repay child support to a non biological father [ 3 Answers ]

The mother of a child was in a relationship with 2 men at the same time, she became pregnant. She married one of the men who has raised the child as his own and now they are divorced and he pays child support. The other man has wanted to know for years (8) if he is the biological father but...

Child Support for a non biological father [ 3 Answers ]

My son is in the Military and resides in North Carolina. His home state is Wisconsin. He is currently getting divorced after a 2 year marriage. He knew when he got married that his pregnant wife may be pregnant with a child that was not is due to "rape". He loved her and decided to be a father. His...

Past child support from biological father [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My daughter is 6 years old. My husband adopted her this past October. The biological father of course doesn't have any rights over her anymore. My question is the following: Would I be able to sue him for the time that he did have rights over her and never paid child support and had a court...

View more questions Search