Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 02:37 AM
    Laser pointers and dogs
    I have trouble getting Muttley (my Yorkie) as much exercise as he may need due to time restrictions and the weather being too hot from 10 am till after 7 or 8 pm most days to venture out.

I thought if I got a laser pointer I could run him around in the apartment safely.

Until now I have never encountered a dog or most any animal that didn't follow or chase a laser dot. Even the fish in the aquarium follow it! The minpin nextdoor goes insane and smacks into walls people and furniture trying to get that red dot. And this is the common reaction from any animal I've seen.

Not Muttley. He watches it go by then looks at me like " you're kidding , I aint chasing that" . Then goes about his way.

I know he sees it because he follows it with his eyes and head . But could care less about it. Can dogs be autistic ? (attempt at humor)

Does anyone else have, or know of a dog or dogs that will not chase a laser?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2010, 03:40 AM

Nothing wrong with your dog... quite the opposite actually... he's just smart enough to realise that it's just a dot on the ground.

2 of mine will havea little snap at the dot but then once they realise it's just a light they are bored with it.
    1 of mine will go completely mental for it... all I have to do is pick up the pointer and he starts searching for it!
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Jul 29, 2010, 03:48 AM

Yes. Years ago when they first came out I bought one. My pit wouldn't chase it. Muttley is probably as smart as my girl. She immediately made the connection that the light was coming from the thing I was holding in my palm.

You are better off not using it anyway. After the laser was on the market for a little while, reports started coming in that some peoples dogs were experiencing neurological reactions (OCD type behavior, seizures). Better to be safe than sorry.

I can relate to the heat & exercise. Even short walks ourside are okay as long as he has access to water. I have cut my long walks down and broken them up during the day. Take your cue from Muttley. My dogs here would rather lie in the sun than run around when it is too hot.

Inside the apt,. does Muttley like to chase balls? Does he know fetch? If not, work on training him to fetch. Does he like to be chased? Most dogs do. Can you chase him a bit around the apt? Wiggle your fingers, bend over in as close to the doggy play position as possible to get his attention and get him excited. Clap your hands and start running behind him in short steps while wiggling your fingers. He should start to run forward. Another thing you can do is to work him through training routines. Sit, stay, come,. It is good reinforcement and keeps his body & mind occupied. You just might want to teach him a new trick every week. If you are physically unable to interact with him as much as you would like, try teaching him to give paw in different ways, such as "Who's your Daddy?" and allow him to slap your hand when you hold it out to him. The training exercises help them really bond to you too. Just be careful not to overtreat.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 04:52 AM

As always great ideas and info from you both.

Like I said , every other dog, cat, ferret, and fish always went after that laser. I must only have known dumb animals. Well they did belong to my dumb friends... go figure thanks again
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 05:50 AM
    Marin, autisic dogs! LOL Yes my Fischer is simple minded. I often refer to him as touched or autistic. He loves the water, so much that you have to physically get in the lake with him and haul him out. If he gets the chance he bolts out the door and runs straight to the lake. He will spend hours, and I do mean hours in the lake swimming in circles.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 11:37 AM
    My cats love the laser pointer and know when hubby picks it up. They come running into the room like he was giving them a big fish to chew on or a big pile of cat nip :P. I did not know that dogs would chase it too, will have to see what Owen thinks of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Pointers in c [ 3 Answers ]

What is pointer

Laser Treatment [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone tried laser treatment to quit smoking ? And if it helps.

Starting band, need pointers [ 1 Answers ]

I am an amateur keyboardist that's getting better every day by teaching MYSELF and just getting down and jammin!! I composed my own keyboard music at 16 years and want to start a band to get vocals, guitars, drums, bass, and anything else. I need help on how to find other musicians who would want...

View more questions Search