Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imelkai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Who get's the house?
    My uncle and his wife are separating. Does anyone know who get's the house? They are both on the loan, but he is primary. She is demanding the house. Does the court automatically give it to her. We live in Texas. They do have three kids. Does anyone know what rights he has, if there was suspision of her cheating?:mad:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2006, 12:11 PM
    Nothing is automatic.

But whoever does not get the house, they need to be sure they get the court to force them to get a new mortgage, if they don't they have have seroius issues latter.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 18, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Distrubtion of joint property in a divorce is a matter of negotiation not law. It depends on who wants the house or who wants it more as well as other factors.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2006, 08:31 PM
    If they are both on the deed, then it's unlikely that she'd get it if he objects. They'd have to sell the house and split the profits 50-50. Are there any kids involved? That could tip the scales as the court will try to preserve intact their pre-divorce home. In that case the spouse who gets primary custody of the kids could also get the house and would have to buy out the other spouse.
    calawmom Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2006, 07:40 PM
    I think all the above answers have something to offer to this question. There was, however, one part no one addressed. The question asked about the relevance of "a suspicion of her cheating." This is a question of whether the court would care. That question turns on whether this is a no-fault state. I don't know for sure, but Texas probably is. In "no-fault" states, no one has to prove adultery in order to get divorced, and the courts rarely consider it when dividing property. That said, it makes a huge difference in negotiations between the parties because of the hurt and betrayal involved. As a mediator, I find it much harder to work with couples where the trust is completely gone. I hope that is not the case here, for the sake of the children.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Dec 27, 2006, 03:46 AM
    In most contested cases all assetts are split 50/50, in the case of the house, it is sold, the mortgage and all leins on the house paid off, and the remaining balance split between them.

Cheating doesn't mean anything. She could flat out be a whore, the only thing that might hinder would be her winning custody of the kids. Laws aren't based on morality, they are based on money.
    dbrown572003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 01:24 PM
    I think if she has the childdren and her name is on the deed she should get the house no questions about it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 8, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrown572003
    i think if she has the childdren and her name is on the deed she should get the house no questions about it.
    I'm sorry but what you think should happen is immaterially. How assets are divided is a subject of negotiation to determine the distribution of assets. There is not a hard and fast set of rules to govern who gets what.
    petra 17 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 01:39 AM
    Maybe They Should Sell The House And Each Person Get Half The Profit That Is What My Parents Did

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old house [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a home built in 1940's and am doing some remodeling. I unhooked my bathroom light fixture that hung above the mirror and found that the wires were not color coded as I had expected. Of course in my hurry I did not label which wires went to what on the original fixture. Now I am...

Getting house in my name [ 5 Answers ]

My mother's mom has been deceased since 1985 and my mother has been paying the mortgage but house is still in her mom's name. How does my mom get house in her name instead?

Well to House [ 2 Answers ]

My well is about 75 yards from my house, I used 2 inch pipe to go from my well to the house, I have water pressure that will almost take the skin off your hand at the pump and outside before the house. But inside my water pressure is low, the water leaves the pump bladders I have two and goes...

Who gets the house [ 3 Answers ]

I recently got married (year ago). However I bought my house when I was single about 5 years ago. If I decide to divorce my husband does he have any rights to my house if I decide to sell? He is not on my deed.

House [ 1 Answers ]

If you file for bankruptcy can you lose your home

View more questions Search