Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ubetcha1000 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 05:52 PM
    My air conditioner compressor and outdoor fan does not turn on. No Cold air
    I turn my central air conditioner on and I get nothing. Everything is dead. I finally realize that the 3 amp fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and turn on the air and the fuse gets blown again. I replaced the fuse and this time I turn the heat on. Everything works great. Fuse did not get blown and the furnace fan turns on with the furnace kicking out heat. I turned the heat off. I then turned the a/c on again and this time the furnace fan starts running. The thermostat indicates a message of "COOL ON". However, the outside air compressor nor does the outdoor fan come on. I had my wife turn on the a/c on the thermostat while I listened by the air compressor. I didn't hear any hissing or clicking by the air compressor and nothing turned on again. However, the thermostat indicated "cool on" again and the furnace fan did turn on. No air compressor or outside fan came on. I then pulled the circuit breaker for the a/c and had my wife turn on the a/c again on the thermostat. This time the furnace fan did not come on or did she get the message of "cool on" on the thermostat. I put the a/c circuit breaker in again and had my wife turn the a/c on again at the thermostat. This time she gets the message of "cool on" and the furnace fan starts up again. However, the air compressor and the outside fan does not come on. No hissing or clicking by the air compressor when the A/C was turned on. What do you think the problem is??
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 06:24 PM

Remember it can take up to 5 minutes for the outside unit to come on. Posibly a short involving Y. You need to check for 24 VAC at the outside contactor at a call for cool.
    daucoin11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2013, 12:38 PM
    The AC unit comes on once I power my furnace off and on any ideas?
    daucoin11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2013, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daucoin11 View Post
    The AC unit comes on once I power my furnace off and on any ideas?
    It appears it was not getting the 24v to run! But all I do to get it to work is turn my furnace off and on!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2013, 01:27 PM
    You need to check for the presence of 24 VAC at the furnace and at the contactor outside on a call for cool.

The 24 VAC that powers the outside unit usually gets delayed by as much as 5 minutes.

If the furnace has any troubleshooting LEDS, use them.

I do need to know if the indoor fan runs during a call for cool.

Some possible problems are:
    High resistance in the 24 VAC circuit.
    High resistance in the 240 VAC circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioner not blowing cold air, inside fan runs, but outside unit does not. [ 2 Answers ]

Unit not blowing cold air. Fan runs. Outside unit does not.

Air conditioner fan would not turn on. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Last year everything was working fine. Both the furnace and the air conditioning unit I mean. This year we did not need it so far. Now that we needed it, we just turned the air conditioner on. To our surprise the air conditioner fan is not working. We have checked all the breakers, they are all...

The air conditioner fan comes on but not the compressor [ 4 Answers ]

I truly believe it may be the thermostat but am not sure. The temp is set to 68 and the fan blows trying to cool off a 81 degree house but the compressor is not responding. When I tried to check the thermostat it kind of just came off the wall... does the thermostat control the compressor coming...

Air conditioner compressor and fan [ 1 Answers ]

Checked the circuit breaker and fuses outside the disconnect. The compressor and fan still do not turn on when I turn the ac on.

View more questions Search