Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallyworldnc Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2010, 03:43 PM
    How do you install a fan/light kit using two wall switches
    I have a ceiling box with two lines coming out, one for each wall switch. Each line has a black, white and red wire Plus ground. How do I hook up wires to have one switch operate fan and the other switch the light.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 05:54 PM

Not logical to have two 3-wire cables. You could have one 3-wire cable or you could have one 3-wire and one 2-wire cable.

Pull switches and tell us what wires you have there and how they are connected.

Jul 28, 2010, 06:18 PM

There are TWO three wire cables in the ceiling box. Two white wires are connected with a wire nut and the two black wires are connected with a wire nut. The two red wires are not connected but have a wire nut on each one. Two wall switches. Never used.

Jul 28, 2010, 06:53 PM
    Red wires are not hooked up to switches.

Jul 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Not logical to have two 3-wire cables. You could have one 3-wire cable or you could have one 3-wire and one 2-wire cable.

Pull switches and tell us what wires you have there and how they are connected.
    I have two 3 wire lines coming out of the ceiling box. The red wires are not connected at the switch end.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 06:57 PM

What was here before and how was it wired?

Thinking this a 3 way switch setup.

Do you have a voltmeter?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 07:41 PM

OK, you have two 3-wire cables in the ceiling box, you have two switches at the same location, the red wires are not connected to the switches. You believe that the two 3-wire cables go to the switch box.

How many cables and what kind are in the switch box and what wires are connected to the switches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install ceiling fan w / light kit [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a ceiling fan w / light kit .the fan has a black,white, blue and green wires. The ceiling has black,white ,red , green and ground .there has never been a light installed there b/4. the wall has a separate switch for the light and fan. How do I wire it??

Light kit install for a ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay fan and Harbor Breeze light kit. The fan is already installed. I just bought the light kit and I found the blue and white light kit wires in a plastic bag in the fan. However, they are not connected to anything in the fan. What must I do to connect them to the fan after I have...

Connecting two wires from light kit pull chain switch 2 wire to light kit for fan [ 6 Answers ]

I would like advise on how to attach the two black wires on the light kit pull chain switch to the light kit on the ceiling fan. I see there are two unattached wires on the light kit, one is black and the other is white. Are these the correct wires to attach the pull chain to? If so, how do I...

Ceiling Fan Install, Not Using Included Light Kit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! We're installing a new ceiling fan that comes with a light. However, we do not wish to install the light; we're just going to use the coverplate. My question is, do we CAP OFF the BLUE wire or do we attach it to the BLACK wire, which controls the fan? Is either option OK? Thanks for...

Ceiling fan with light kit on separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a ceiling fan with light kit with a newer model. I hooked up the wires from the new fan/light to the same wires in the ceiling box that the old fan was hooked up to. There are two switches on the wall plate, one for the light and one for the fan. When I hooked up the new...

View more questions Search