Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NickW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 03:23 AM
    Stay with stepfather
    A friend of mine is in a similar situation however she is the child. Her birth father showed up out of no where and wants custody when she would rather stay with the man who raised her since she was 4, she is now sixteen, the mother is out of the picture and the stepfather who raised her never adopted her , he just cared for her. Do you know of a way for her to stay with her stepfather?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2010, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NickW View Post
    A friend of mine is in a similar situation however she is the child. Her birth father showed up out of no where and wants custody when she would rather stay with the man who raised her since she was 4, she is now sixteen, the mother is out of the picture and the stepfather who raised her never adopted her , he just cared for her. Do you know of a way for her to stay with her stepfather?
    Legally, probably not. The stepfather is not a legal parent or even guardian. If the stepfather refuses to return the child, he could very well get into trouble for interfering with child custody.

Why is the father suddenly interested in his daughter's life after being absent for a over a decade? Has he actually been established as the biological father through either a court-ordered DNA test or by signing a paternity acknowledgment?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2010, 09:49 AM

I want to emphasize the point that the step father has no legal standing here. He may actually be in serious trouble for caring for this child all these years. He had no rights to approve medical care or register in school or anything like that.

However one of the keys to what will happen depends on the circumstances involved in the mother "being out of the picture". Was he actually married to the mother? For how long? What happened to her? What did he do about the child when whatever happened, happened?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... He may actually be in serious trouble for caring for this child all these years. ...
    *rolls eyes*. Not really.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2010, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    *rolls eyes*. Not really.
    Oh? Lets say, for example, that the mother's parents wanted custody of the child, but the step-father did not let them know that the mother went out of the picture or that he had the child and where. Yes, he could be in trouble.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2010, 11:25 AM

I can see what both of you are saying. Scott is pointing out that there's the possibility of one of the child's relatives getting upset and trying to have charges of kidnapping/concealment filed against the father.

My opinion is that nobody is going to take it to that level and even if they tried to, I would see the courts being more likely to grant custody to a family member and leaving it at that, rather than getting into the mess of prosecuting the stepfather.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2010, 11:36 AM

We also don't know that he was never granted legal guardianship. Before my wife and I married, I had legal guardianship of my (then) stepson so we could get him insured.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem;
    the probability of the step-father being prosecuted is small. But the fact remains, that he had no legal standing or right to continue to raise the child.
    It's not a crime to raise a child without "legal standing", as the fictional Silas Marner did. The probablility of being prosecuted should be zero.

Concealing, etc. as you suggested in your post of Today @ 01:07 PM would be a different kettle of fish.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2010, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    It's not a crime to raise a child without "legal standing", as the fictional Silas Marner did. The the probablility of being prosecuted should be zero.

Concealing, etc., as you suggested in your post of Today @ 01:07 PM would be a different kettle of fish.
    I'm really not in the mood for this to turn into an argument and, once again, detract from the OP's question. What could/couldn't happen has been discussed and agreed upon. Drop it already.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 05:15 PM

Also at this point the step dad could go to court and fight for custody of the child as he has cared for her "as his own" for this many years. There is a good chance he could win in a custody battle of this nature provided he wasn't concealing the child from the bio father.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Raped by stepfather [ 3 Answers ]

I laid charge to my abusive stepfather,now his out on bail and the prosecutOr told me that rape have no bail.My family want me to withdraw the case and I denied,now it looks like I don't have family support.Now I'm afraid to death because he can afford expensive lawyer which I don't have.Do I have...

Adoption by stepfather [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Virginia. I am divorced with a 3yr old daughter and have recently remarried. My exhusband who pays child support is wanting to give up his parental rights and allow my new husband to adopt my daughter. What is the process for this in Virginia and how expensive is it? Thank you H

Stepfather adoption [ 6 Answers ]

I have two children, they have not seen or heard from their birth father in over a year. He is missing in action, has no phone, no address, even his family can not find him. I am remarried and would like (as well my kids would like) to have my husband adopt them. Can and/or how can I do...

Stepfather adoption [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old, 2 year old, and 5 month old, and my boyfriend wants to adopt all of them, they all have different dads and the two youngest have never seen their dad, and the oldest ones dad left when she was 2 or three months. My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 3 years.....

Stepfather wants to adopt [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I have three children, two of which are from a previous relationship she had before our relationship began. I have been a father to these beautiful children for 12 and 11 years. Their biological father walked out of their lives when they were 4 months and 1years old, and he has never...

View more questions Search