Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grets1333 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 06:10 AM
    Is it the brakes?
    I found this really great mechanic, finally. Half of my co-workers use him, and they all find him to be not only a good mechanic but honest, and fair priced. He installed brakes on my car and then had to do the struts for me, because they just seized up. I was thrilled. Well last week heard this weird grinding kind of noise from the front brakes. Thought it was just dirt, but after a couple of days, took it to the mechanic. First, he drove it, and said he never heard it. They were doing construction outside so maybe he didn't. He pulled the wheels the next morning, and said he just had to clean and polish them down, nothing serious, and didn't charge me.

That was yesterday. The noise is back. Is it possible its something else? The brakes stop good.. he examined them and said they were good... what else would make that metal on metal kind of grinding noise when you put the brakes on?

I'm scared now.

Grets
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 06:42 AM

Can you isolate what wheel it's coming from? At highway speeds, you may have lodged a small piece of wood between the brake disc and the hub. It can make a real screaching noise, usually going one direction but not the other. If this sounds like it might be the situation, remove the wheel and brake disc and remove the item. Not a difficult job.

If the brakes are not fully releasing, the mechanic may not have cleaned and lubricated the caliper pins with silicone grease. Ask him if he did this, since this is important.

Another possibility, depending upon your exact car, is that the caliper bracket is rubbing the disc. In this situation, tightening the axle nut to specs with a torque wrench will seat the hub. This will allow the disc to no longer rub the caliper bracket.

Once you get this situation taken care of, change the brake fluid if it has not been done in the last two years. This is very important to do and often overlooked.

Here's how to do a professional brake job:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1618425

This link should give you a better understanding of what's involved.

Jul 28, 2010, 07:23 AM
    Before I call him
    He said he cleaned them up and polished something, etc. When I left there yesterday and brought the car to work, and then drove home, no noise. Last night we went shopping, took the baby to the library and then out to eat. No noise.. this morning it starts again. If it was one of the issues you pointed out, caliphers, etc. wouldn't that have still made noise last night?
    Thanks for your quick response.
    Grets
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 07:38 AM

What year, make, model car do you have? How many miles?

Jul 28, 2010, 07:41 AM
    About 104,000
    I have a Hyundai Elantra. Its been a wonderful car, no problems... just normal oil changes... etc. First time brakes put on. (front only) but nothing serious.
    2004. Got it new.. so only I have driven it.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 07:45 AM

Could the noise be related to worn wheel bearings or CV joints? Keep in mind that moisture develops on the pads, when the car sits overnight. This can contribute to screaching noise, until you use the brakes and the moisture dissipates.

Jul 28, 2010, 07:53 AM
    He originally said wheel bearings
    And then he checked the brakes. Wouldn't he have checked the bearings too? Being that he was the one who said that? Its not a screeching noise, from moisture or dirt. It's a metal grinding on metal sound.. a crunching I guess it would be.
    Grets
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 08:21 AM

If the noise is more pronounced when you turn, I would suspect the wheel bearings, since they experience additional loading when you turn. There's no repacking bearings on FWD cars--just replace. Bearing noise can be intermittent.

As a generalization, struts, wheel bearings, outer tie-rod ends, ball joints, and CV joints need to be replaced every 100,000 miles. It's cheaper (lower labor charge), in the long run, to get them all done at once. Use quality components; e.g. Timken and Moog.

Metal-on-metal sounds like the disc is rubbing the caliper bracket.

Jul 28, 2010, 08:34 AM
    Thank-you so much
    For all your help with this. I greatly appreciate it. Never had the opportunity to talk to a Texan grease monkey before! I've know my share of grease monkeys though. The plant I work at (juice plant) has mechanics here for all the machinery we use. Lots of Southern boys, grease monkeys!

Thanks again.

Grets
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 08:35 AM

If you still trust this mechanic, I would ask him if he could see discoloration from heat in the front bearings. If so, or based on wobble, I would get him to replace both front wheel bearings (Timken) and lower ball joints (Moog).

"Remember, as always, to Stay Greasy."

Jul 28, 2010, 08:42 AM
    Where do I rate you?
    I can't find anything on the page that says rate you. Is there something special I should look for?
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 08:44 AM

There should be a box , "Comments on this post." Mark Agree or Disagree and fill in the box.

Since you have a young family, remember to change the transmission fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. This will help you save money and avoid the big unexpected expense. If you take care of the engine and transmission, everythings else is relatively minor. Plus, use full synthetic lubricants, such as Mobil 1, in your engine and ATX. Some of the tips below are applicable to your car:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219991

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brakes [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1994 honda accord and a 1995 honda accord with the same problem. I was driving the 94 and the brakes locked up on me, so I changed both calipers. When it lockeed up on me again I started driving the 95 and now its doing it. What's next? Porpotion valve? Master cylinder? Brake lines?

Brakes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1989 GMC full-size Jimmy. I am needing the steel brake lines from the master cylinder to the junction box. Can I use the lines off a full-size truck?

Brakes 2005 Honda Accord brakes? [ 3 Answers ]

How hard are the brakes pads on a 2005 honda Accord to change?

Brakes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1999 dodge intrepid es 78,000 miles abs brakes with traction control I 'am have problems with front brakes draging real bad and brake pedal getting real hard only in stop and go traffic

Brakes [ 1 Answers ]

91 honda accord exr the problem i am having is with my brakes. Sometimes the brakes drag but i have check the sliders and they are okay. Also sometimes when u turn or even going straight u hear a funny noise. Like 2 pieces of metal touching for a second. Any idea?

View more questions Search