Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joe615 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 09:51 AM
    3 Phase vs. Single Phase
    I am struggling with the difference between 3-phase and single phase and the advantages/disadvantages to both. Could someone help me with this, or point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2006, 10:10 AM
    Three-phase is much more costly to install, but is much more efficient for high horsepower motor loads. Talk to your electric utility supplier. They may not even have three-phase service available to your location. Generally speaking it isn't available except in industrial areas.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2006, 10:55 AM
    Have you ever done any singing in rounds? ''Row, row, row your boat, merrily, merrily... '' When the first group reaches merrily, the second starts ''Row''. Eventually you have 3 different groups singing the same thing at different times. So 3 phase. In addition to the familiar sine wave of single phase, 3 phase has a second phase starting 120 degrees after the first, and a third phase at 240 degrees.

The big advantage to 3 phase is that motors can be smaller for the same horse power. Just as a single phase AC motor is smaller than a similar DC motor, so a 3 phase motor is smaller than a single phase. Airplanes use electric motors with even more phases where weight is even more important then size. In factories, it is common to have many high loads, and most of them use 3 phase motors and 240 or 480 volts. I once managed a small factory where almost everything was 480 3 phase or pneumatic. We had 3 phase motors ranging from 1/4 horse to 600 horsepower. I wouldn't even want to think about a 120 volt single phase 600 horse motor, or the conductors it would take to supply it. Most of the lighting was 277 volts pulling power from one phase of the 3 phase. The phases were 480 apart, but only 277 above ground. It is also easy to reverse a 3 phase motor, just switch any 2 leads. I even selected a vacuum cleaner that ran on compressed air because we weren't wired up to supply enough single phase 120 volts to run a large shop vac.

Perhaps the biggest advantage to single phase is that it is the way it has always been done. It works well with incandescent lights and other resistive loads too. It certainly is easy to understand why we stick to 120 volts in our houses. Enough people kill themselves with it, let alone 480.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Dec 18, 2006, 11:09 AM
    Also, motors don't need a capacitor to start on 3 phase.

However, in my opinion, 3 phase is an overkill for the average hobbiest garage. Unless you are planning a major operation in a large shop, 3 phase wouldn't be worth it.

However if you will be running large machinery, then I recommend 3 phase.

If you are starting a restaurant anybit larger than a small coffe shop I recommend 3 phase, as most major food equipment is 3 phase.

You can draw single phase off a three phase by just using one of the legs and a neutual.
    You can set up an entire machine on three phase, then take one leg and a neutural and create a 120 volt single phase control circuit out of it, or take two hots and make a 240 volt control circuit.

480 volt makes for efficient use of electricity, but as stated with the 3 phase, its an overkill for many applicantions. 480 is seldom seen anywhere but the industrial world. You occastionally run into it in schools and universities.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2006, 04:34 PM
    What exactly is your plan?

3 phase is usually never available in single family and light multi-dwelling residential areas, or allowed in a residential dwelling even if it is on the street. All utility distribution is three phase, look at the top of utility poles on main roads and you will see three wires at the very top.

3 Phase is widely used for light commercial, such as stores, plazas, etc. 3 phase is widely used as the main feed for large residential building, such as large condos, apartment buildings, however only single phase is brought to the actual units. But having 3 phase brought to the building allows for the large motors such as elevators,boilers, etc.

To illustrate the typical service available from utilities:

Single phase 120/240 volt service at 100 amps can provide 24000 watts of power.
    The largest single phase motor available is approximately 10 HP.

Typical 3 phase 120/208 volt service at 100 amps can provide 35984 watts of power.
    3 Phase motors are available up to 3000 HP.

There is a 240 volt 3 phase service available, thou is rarely used, and is only for industrial applications, so I di not use that as an illustration.

Here are a couple of websites that explain three theory, the math is a bit more than you need, but the explanation is good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_10/2.html

If you do have only single phase available, and only need 3 phase for a one or two 3 phase machine, consider using a three phase converter, here is a popular manufacturer: http://www.phaseconverter.com/about.html
    Joe615 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 08:43 AM
    Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.
    Theodore41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 06:07 AM

I come back with this.
    There are professional coffee grinders,of 900W,which some "crazy" coffee lovers,want to use them in their homes,with single phase lines.
    I know that it is possible via some special converters,as one guy has one in use.
    The problem is,that the company which makes them,is in USA,and can not make converters for the European line,i.e. 220V/50Hz.
    Do you know some company,which can make such converters?
    Regards,
    Theodore.
    sathe1963 Posts: 97, Reputation: 4

Apr 19, 2009, 06:04 AM
    difference between 1 phase & 3 phase motors: Phase shifting for obtaining torque in case of single phase motors is obtained by connecting capacitor in one winding. Other winding is connected to supply directly. In case of 3 phase motors, torque is automatically obtained by three sets of windings placed and connected 120 degree apart from each other. These motors are normally available from 2 poles to 10 poles. Speed is calculated by formula: N = 120 x frequency / no. Of poles.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2009, 06:30 AM
    The original question asks about three phase and single phase in general, not just motors.

And the question is over two years old.

Please refrain from answering questions older than a month.

This thread is closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Single Phase 208? [ 7 Answers ]

Greetings, I'm about to purchase a Suspended unit heater for a carpentry shop. I'd like to use a service I previously used for a table saw, being 208v 30A, (2 hots at 120(120degs opposed) and a ground). The fixtures I'm looking at, in the catalog, state that they are Single/3 phase 208 or Single...

2-phase vs 3-phase degrees of separation [ 5 Answers ]

At work we have 3-phase power. I understand the oscillations are 120 degrees apart. At home I have 2-phase power. Are the oscillations 180 degrees apart? I understand the neutral on a 240v circuit should carry 0 as the phases cancel each other out. My real question is that if we have a...

Three phase vs. Single phase [ 3 Answers ]

What benefits would you have running a three phase service as opposed to running single phase.

208v single phase wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect a 208v single phase appliance to my home circuit panel? I installed a 30amp breaker which has 2 connections, red and black (hot), then I have white (neutral), and green for ground. The device only as 2 connectors not 3, plus ground? Thanks

120v/208v single phase appliance wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased a coffee machine that has the above reqts. I understand that it has 220 and 110v circuits that need power. I also purchased a generator to power this brewer outside. If I use a NEMA L14-30P plug, to connect into the generator, What is the sequence of wiring for the plug three...

View more questions Search