Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marshodge Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Dec 18, 2006, 08:46 AM
    Auto accident
    I was involved in a car accident last month, my car was totalled. It was not my fault, this lady cut in front of me.
    Her insurance paid for my car (Kelly blue book price) and also paid the registration of my new vehicle.
    I went to the doctor with a neck and thumb strain, also I had some burns and scratches caused by the air bags, had physical therapy twice a week for a month.
    The hole thing is very emmotional, I still have nightmares about it, because in the moment of the colision I thought my car was on fire, I thought I was going to burn alive.
    Anyhow, now it is time to reach a settlement with her insurance, how can I know if what they will offer me is fair?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 18, 2006, 09:07 AM
    First this is not a Small Claims question, this should be in the Insurance forum.

Second, You should be reimbursed for ALL expenses that resulted from the accident, that includes travel to doctors, time off, etc. If you think there will be expenses in the future, then you need to cover those as well.

Once you have covered all your expenses, then you look into "pain and suffering". There, only you can figure out how much will make you fee compensated for her negligence.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2006, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by marshodge
    how can I know if what they will offer me is fair?
    Hello marsh:

Lol! Snicker, snicker... Dude! What you'll KNOW is their offer ISN'T going to be fair!

Ok, excuse me for laughing. Frankly, FAIR has nothing to do with it. It's strictly business. They'll offer as little as they think they can get away with. You should ask for as MUCH as you think you can get.

However, unless you're very very sharp, you shouldn't be negotiating on your OWN behalf. You're going to be up against people who do this ALL the time. You're a rookie - and an emotional one at that.

Here's my advice: if you think you can tell them to stick it (well, maybe not in those words), then meet with them. However, you don't sound like you're that kind of person. That's not bad about you. It's just my considered opinion. If you're the kind of person who'll take what they offer because you don't want to hassle any further, or because they told you that's all you're ever going to get... then DON'T meet with them.

But that's cool. That's why they have lawyers. They represent people exactly like you. And, if you shop well for one, he'll get you a whole lot more money than you will all by yourself. They'll take your case on a contingency basis too. That means it won't cost you a dime unless you win.

Go kick some insurance butt!

excon
    marshodge Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Dec 18, 2006, 10:03 AM
    That is what I wanted to know, so they will try to offer me the least that they can.
    Well I am going to ask as much as I can too.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 18, 2006, 11:20 AM
    While I fully agree with excon, especially about getting an atty to negotiate for you, You have to be realistic in what you ask for and, even more so, what you will accept.

As I said initially you want to set a figure that you are sure will cover all your expenses past and future (and that will include atty's fees if you use one). That's your minimum and that's a figure you never mention to them. But you don't want to ask for pie in the sky either. Especially if you negotiate for yourself, they laugh at you if you get unreasonable.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Remember if you settle, you need to be sure your auto insurance will be paid back every penny they paid you, since those payments would and should be included in any settlement, too many people settle, forget this and then owe more to their insurance company than they got.

Also if you are going to need future medical treatment, that money should be there set in trust if needed.

Next of your car was worth more than blue book, you need to get paid that difference.

And normally their offer assuming you do'n't have an attorney will be about 1/2 of what it should be normally. They always, I have never known them not to, low ball you with a figure, knowning you want to settle, are in a hurry to settle, and esp don't have an attorney.

A good place to start is add up all of those bills, everyone, and go from there adding about 25 percent in extra for things you will have to do in the future over this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Accident [ 2 Answers ]

I got in a minor accident and the police weren't called. After a very little bit, I realized what a huge mistake that was. I accidentally rear ended someone and the damage was very minor. We exchanged information. What liabilities did I open myself up to? Thanks for the help.

Auto accident [ 5 Answers ]

:( I was in a auto accident 6 months ago. I was hit by a drunk driver on a motorcycle. He ran a stop sign, and was driving on a suspended licence. I was injured (fractured ankle and whiplash). My Land Rover was repaired, (although it cost over $23,000) is there a way to figure out how much I...

Auto accident [ 6 Answers ]

Hi,yesterday I was parked my car in a walmart store parking lotand I was about to back up and leave I had checked my left side and it was clear to me to back up.and I don't know how I hit a car.the driver said that it was my mistake and she called the police to come and check that out.plce made a...

Auto Accident Help [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was involved in an auto accident and I live in California. This is my first accident and I'm not sure what to do and what not to do. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks and here is my story. 8/19/06 I was sitting at a red light second car in line. The light turned green the car in front...

Auto Accident In Ny [ 4 Answers ]

Scenario: Woman takes prescription medicine before driving. She later dozes off at the wheel and wrecks rental car. She admits to the cop she fell asleep.She is not charged with driving while impaired and goes and seeks medical care from her doctor for her injuries. She has now been told the...

View more questions Search