Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 02:31 PM
    2001 Passat
    Where would I find the transmission fluid 'dip stick' type thing on my car? I bought this car with no manual - it's a 2001 Passat turbo 1.8 liter autostick. Thanks!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2010, 04:03 PM

Look for a yellow dip stick, located close to the firewall. Some cars, unfortunately, don't have one. I'm unfamiliar with your car. You might want to invest in a Haynes Manual, available at many auto parts stores.
    Movie Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks for your help TxGreaseMonkey! I'm having some issues with the car - I love-love-love it, but I think it loves-loves-loves my bank account!
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 09:40 AM

Great looking cars. In order to keep it away from your bank account, use VW-approved full-synthetic engine oil and transmission fluid. I know VW is very particular about lubricants. Synthetic fluids are key to inexpensively keeping vehicles for a long time. Change synthetic engine oil and filter every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. This is particularly important with turbos--otherwise, they won't last long. Change synthetic transmission fluid every 30,000 miles or 3 years, whichever comes first. This will help you avoid the big unexpected repair bills.
    Movie Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 10:38 AM

That's exactly what the problem was! For some kooky reason my oil light DOES NOT come on when I'm getting low on oil. Instead, yesterday afternoon, my car actually read (by where my outside temperature / gas gauge read out is) STOP! STOP! In flashing red lights, then read, OIL PRESSURE! TURN OFF ENGINE! Can I just tell you that I was terrified! I thought my car was going to explode! Turns out I had like no oil. I was kind of frustrated that the check oil light didn't come on before it got so low - (I can't totally blame the car, I should have been checking it regularly) - lesson learned!
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 11:48 AM

Scary stuff! That's why everyone needs to use full-synthetic engine oil--it provides a "margin of safety" that we all need. These links may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2162069

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2295563
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 11:52 AM

Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40 European Formula is an excellent choice for your car:

Mobil 1 0W-40

You can buy it and even get your oil and filter changed at WalMart. Use it in conjunction with a Mobil 1 EP oil filter--then, you have an unbeatable combination.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 12:03 PM

Start a simple "2001 VW Passat Maintenance Log" on Microsoft Word: Date, Mileage, Work Performed

Find out the recommended maintenance for your car and do it "by the book."

Several of the recommended items in the link below are applicable to your car:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219991

Besides engine and transmission, pay particular attention to regularly changing coolant and brake fluid.
    Movie Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 08:59 AM

In two days, you have provided me with more information than any mechanic in my town has been able to do in the 2yrs that I have owned my car. Thank you so much - you're the best! ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2010, 09:38 AM

The intent behind what I do is to help people, especially young families. People need a little bit of guidance in how to take care of their vehicles, in order to play good "defense." That is, in order to hold on to their money and avoid the big unexpected expense, which can be devastating to a family's budget. That's why I "preach" using synthetics so much.

If people watch the ads on line, synthetic engine oil can often be bought for free after rebate. However, there are always good specials. You need to be certain, however, that whatever you buy meets VW's requirements for your car.
    Movie Expert

Feb 10, 2012, 04:07 PM
    Hi TxGreaseMonkey! (I hope you're still active on this site, you're a wealth of information!)

I had a question about the same car we discussed before... the engine light was on, I took it in, the dealership ran a diagnostic, and told me I need to replace my 'camshaft adjuster'.

I was looking into buying my own part (they quoted me almost $900.00 for the part alone!)- they gave me the part # (058-109-088k), but when I search for it, all I seem to find with this # is a 'cam chain tensioner' - are these the same thing?

Hoping this is something you might be familiar with. Thanks in advance!
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2012, 04:44 PM
    Yes, it's a camshaft or timing chain tensioner. It's not common for a timing chain tensioner to go bad. I would get a second opinion. Take it to someone else and find out what code was thrown. It may just be a code indicating the camshaft position sensor is bad, which is much cheaper and easier to replace. The price they quoted you for the part was way out of line. Verify that you have a timing chain and not a timing belt.

What is the eighth character in your VIN No.
    Movie Expert

Feb 10, 2012, 05:03 PM
    Aha! I suspected as much... this is going to be interesting... in February of 2010 - I had my 'camshaft chain adjuster' replaced... while I was waiting for your response, I went to my car (I keep all my invoices/reciepts), and dug out the invoice from 2/2010 - I already replaced the part they're telling me is bad! What a bunch of knuckleheads! (by the way, the part cost me $321.16 when I had it done! ) Once again, thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2012, 05:08 PM
    It may even still be under their warranty.
    Movie Expert

Feb 10, 2012, 05:16 PM
    Now wouldn't that be nice! Happy Friday to you - hope the sun is shining where you are!
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2012, 05:18 PM
    Yup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Passat starting problems 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

My 2007 2.0 tdi passat cut out & won't start but it did start for a couple of minutes then cut out & hasn't started since any ideas?

Tail Lights not working on my 2001 vw passat sedan [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2001 vw v6 passat sedan, and the tail lights have quit working. The rear turn signals, brake lights all work, everything except the tail lights. We were told that it could be a bad brake light switch, but the brakes work. Also, the dash lights work and headlights work when you start the...

99 VW Passat, won't start after battery change [ 1 Answers ]

My 99 VW Passat wasn't starting and the battery wouldn't hold a charge. It would only start when jumped. I replaced the battery and when I started it up after being replaced the car would stall after about 2 or 3 seconds. I tried numerous times and still nothing. Now if I turn the key to on, all...

Passat 98 cuts out [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have recently purchased a VW Passat (R 98) and at times it cuts out otherwise it drives fine.the only time it cuts out when you slowing down the car at give way and or at roundabouts or even when you trying to park it. The mechanic does not seem to understand but it is really annoying.

VW passat warm start [ 15 Answers ]

I have a volkswagen passat on 51 plate and it is having problems starting when warm used to do it rarely now is doing it on regulry basis I think its starting motor any ideas any one thanks

View more questions Search