Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ubetcha1000 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 10:42 AM
    a/c keeps blowing a 3 amp fuse on my furnace. Heat works fine.
    My a/c keeps blowing the 3 amp fuse on my furnace. I tried the heat on the furnace and it works just fine. However, when I switch to the a/c, it blows the 3 amp fuse immediately. N ever had a problem with the a/c in the last 10 years and now I have this problem.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 11:06 AM

Check low voltage wiring to outside compressor unit. You probably hit it with the weed whacker or the dog chewed it up.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2010, 04:23 PM

Could be a contactor

Jul 27, 2010, 08:02 PM

I got got the furnace blower to work on the cool on cycle, but the air conditioner compressor or the outside fan does not turn on. Still not getting cool air. Thermostat indicates air is on, but air compressor & outside fan does not turn on.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2010, 05:32 AM

As said before, check the low voltage wiring between furnace and condenser for breaks /shorts, if OK the contactor coil might be shorted and needs replaced

Jul 28, 2010, 06:23 AM

How do you check the low voltage? What reading am I looking for on the voltage. I have a couple of thin wires going into the box outside. Are those wires the low voltage wires?
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2010, 06:33 AM

Yes,, the small wires,should be 24 volts reading at the contactor connection,, be careful /kill the high voltage power if you are unexperianced

Jul 28, 2010, 07:04 AM

I can pull the circuit breaker on the outside of the house. Do I need to turn off the circuit breakers in the basement as well? I have 2 switches for the a/c in the fuse box in the basement
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2010, 10:03 AM

That will work, don`t want you getting shocked
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 02:34 PM

Remove power to the outside and inside units. Disconnect both small wires going to the contactor and cap. Turn on power to both. Get a call to cool. Wail at least 5 minutes (Thermostat has anti-short cycle built in usually). See if fuse blows.

If it does, then disconnect those same wires (Y and C) at the furnace and repeat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

E fuse in Carrier gas furnace keeps blowing. Should a different fuse be used? [ 1 Answers ]

E fuse in Carrier gas furnace, model 58MCB, keeps blowing. Should a different fuse be used, or is the problem likely in a component.

BRYANT Furnace blowing 3-amp fuse on control board [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Bryant M/N 383KAV036070AGJA, S/N 3097A08913, Series G furnace with central air that is blowing the 3-amp fuse on the control board. The furnace has been serviced numerous times over the past two years for various problems by multiple service companies. The control board was even replaced...

Carrier keeps blowing 5 amp fuse in heat setting [ 2 Answers ]

Crappier... er... Carrier Unit has blown 2 fuses in two days on heat setting. Fuse is in main blower housing. Is this a short? Any ideas? Thanks, Frustrated and Freezing...

Fan on ON and ac not working, heat works fine [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a new home and I know the AC worked last summer for the people who lived here. I have a LUX 1500 t-stat, a miller ac unit, and a beckett by honeywll furnace motor. Everything was serviced last year. When we put the switch to heat the furnace comes on and runs non stop. When I...

Air works fine but heat won't come on at all [ 1 Answers ]

My air condiction works fine bu when I put it on heat it won't come on at all no fan no noise or anything only thig I hear is a clicking on the circuit board that's it I have a lennox furnace Thanks in advance

View more questions Search