Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 07:57 AM
    Phone calls
    Just a quick question..

But seriously, how do you get the phone calls to stop? They start at precisely 8am and continuously through the day when my husband is not home. We haven't a clue who these collectors are, or what they want, but they won't talk to me.

I have tried asking them, kindly then it proceeded to rudely, to not call before 5pm since I am TRYING to sleep. They hang up on me. I have tried to ask that they submit info in writing, but they hang up.

I can't take the phone off the hook or turn the ringer off as I have an ill family member.

How do I get this to stop so that I can get some sleep. I'm tired of working 60+ hours every 5 days with only 4-5 hours of sleep a day.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2010, 08:13 AM

J if you have call block, look at the number and use the call block. Or call the phone company and ask them to give you the number you need to block these calls.

If they can't give you the code then ask them to do something about it.
    Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 08:20 AM

Don't have call block, and don't want to pay for it. I'm on minimal phone as it is.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 08:23 AM

There are specific laws in place for collectors. It's been some years since I have done it, so I'm probably not up to date on them--you can get them at the library, though.

1. They can only attempt contact at home between 8 am and 9 pm, local time.
    2. They can only attempt to call a work number twice a week and a home number 4 times a week.
    3. Here's where it gets sticky: if no message is left, it doesn't count as an attempt. If no contact with the actual debtor is made, it does not count as an attempt. So... they don't want to leave a name or number, because then they can't keep calling. If they don't leave a message or talk to your husband, the attempt doesn't count against their 4 total. BUT--they KNOW they are annoying. They hope that they're annoying enough that you will either give them a work number for your hubby or pay them off to shut them up.

DO NOT give that work number. Once they know where he works, they can start garnishment processes.

The sad thing is that it works. I had to quit because I couldn't stand doing that to people---I lasted all of 3 weeks. But--it DOES work. If you annoy people enough, they'll send you money to get you to leave them alone.

I don't really know what to tell you, though. Most of the time, I tell people to screen their calls, but that's not going to stop the ringing that is waking you up.

Check your state laws on collections agencies, though--the laws are VERY strict, and what you can do to stop the calls should be in there. And if they BREAK those laws, guess what? You've got an opening to sue them not only for what they are trying to collect from you--but for enough to put them out of business.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 27, 2010, 10:02 AM
    Simply inform them that you require all communications in writing for the avoidance of doubt and any further calls will result in a police report being filed under protection from harassment laws ;)
    Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 03:53 PM

I'll try that ben, but they usually hang up on me before I get that far.
    AJ_Hunsucker Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2011, 08:08 AM
    Well right now, telecom technology has overcome such problems. I would advise you to port your number to some VoIP phone service like Axvoice, Nextiva etc. That will make life a heaven for you. Now a day, VoIP phone service allows many features. You will be able to restrict all the unknown call. Some of them offer a call recording facility. That recorded call is sent to your email. That way, you will never be disturbed by anyone.
    Expert

Sep 30, 2011, 03:13 PM
    Thanks AJ, but this thread was started over a year ago. It's all taken care of now. ;)

Please continue to answer questions, but remember to check the dates of the threads first. Oh, and welcome to AMHD.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone calls [ 2 Answers ]

Caller: Send help quick, my wife is going into labor! Operator: Is this her first child? Caller: No, dangit, I'm her Husband!

CC Phone Calls [ 5 Answers ]

I had heard that if a collection agency is calling and you ask them to stop and do things through the mail that by law they have to stop the phone calls--at least I hope that is right? Does the same rule apply to credit card companies? If they continue to call after you have asked them to stop does...

Phone calls [ 5 Answers ]

My ex-husband was ordered "no parenting time" with my son. There is nothing written in the decree of divorce about phone calls. How does this work ?Is he legally allowed to call him right now ?Can he call whenever he wants ? Am I allowed to set up the calling schedule ? Thank you!

Unwanted phone calls [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been getting some harassing phone calls from my boyfriend's ex I called told her stop calling is there a way to stop this without changing my number? I was going to call the police but now her daughter is harassing me too. Any suggestions please ? Phone help4

Phone Calls [ 3 Answers ]

:( my husband and I have known the other for a year this past may '07, but we got married feb '07. I found numbers in his wallet and found out he had been calling these two women. He works hard and takes care of our family and I know he loves the hell out of me. We have a very good sex life and...

View more questions Search