Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheEternalCowboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 06:46 AM
    Ceiling Fan Lighting Issues
    Let me preface this by saying I am completely new to home ownership and home repair, but am looking to learn.

The ceiling fan in the master bed room of a house I just purchased did not have a light, so I purchased a light kit to install. After installation, the fan continued working, but the light didn't turn on. I then tested the light on a different fan, in a different room, and confirmed that the light indeed works. I want to take a volt meter and get the voltage between the blue and white wires, which are the wires that are designated "FOR LIGHTS". Is this safe to do, and should I expect to see 120V?

Thanks for the help!
    revans3 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 11:58 AM

Blue wire is hot, white is neutral. With a volt meter red lead
    Touching blue wire and black lead on white wire shout read
    120V. Check black hot wire in fan to see if it is connected.

revans3
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 07:02 PM

Open the fan at the ceiling, and confirm the blue wire is connected.

Ceiling Fan Wiring, Ceiling Fan Wiring Technical Help, Do it Yourself (DIY) - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lighting for a ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan. The light bulb is too low a wattage. It said no higher wattage should be used. Is it possible to install a new light kit with a higher watt in order to have more light? Thank you.

Ceiling fan lighting [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Harbor Breeze model eyd52rbz5lkrcs. It is a wide blade remote control only Fan, installed outside under an aluminum roofed patio. My intent was to deter the hovering flies that love the warm still air by my back door. I am interested in removing the fish bowl light globe under the...

Lighting on ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get to the light bulb in the lower part of my hampton breeze fan? I can't find my instruction booklet and can't seem to remove cover to replace bulbs.

Ceiling Fan lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new ceiling fan. Fan works fine, but the light will not work. Any suggestions?

Ceiling Fan Lighting [ 3 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with a light kit, all controlled via a remote. One night I went to turn on the light with the remote (ceiling fan running) as I have done many times and the light bulbs burned out. I replaced the bulbs and they won't work, but the fan works fine. I took apart the unit. I...

View more questions Search