Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashpar_kantan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 05:42 AM
    how to find final speed when initial speed and average speed is given
    a car travels a certain distance with a speed of 40m/s and returns with a speed 'u'. If the average speed for the whole journey is 48m/sec what is the value of'u'?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2010, 05:54 AM
    Assuming the acceleration is constant;

Remember that:

or

And use:

and

Post what you come up with :)
    Dinsdale1963 Posts: 3, Reputation: 4

Jul 28, 2010, 06:55 PM

You’ll have a difficult time using the previous equation, since you’re not given time or acceleration. A much simpler approach is to us the formula:

avg. v = (v+u)/2
    Therefore,

u = 2(avg v) - v
    so...

u = (2)(48) – 40 = 58 m/s
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2010, 01:41 AM

I usually don't use this formula, that's why I posted the 'long way round'. But at least, I'm sure what I'm doing. If you have got a shorter, easier alternate answer, that's fine too :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinsdale1963 View Post
    avg. v = (v+u)/2
    Sorry - but this is not right! The average speed to cover the distance out and back is not equal to the arithmetic average of the two speeds, but rather is equal to the total distance traveled divided by the total time it takes. Let d = the distance out, so that the total distance traveled is 2d, and the times for the drive out and the drive back back are and respectively:

The times for each leg of the trip are

Thus:

Put this back into the first equation:

Rearrange and you get

To check that this is correct, try using a value for d that makes the math easy: let's assue d = 12000 m. The total time to make the trip out and back is 12000m/(40m/s) + 12000m/(60m/s) = 500 seconds. The total distance covered is 24000m, so the average speed is 24000m/500s = 48 m/s. So it checks.
    ashpar_kantan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 02:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Sorry - but this is not right! The average speed to cover the distance out and back is not equal to the arithmetic average of the two speeds, but rather is equal to the total distance traveled divided by the total time it takes. Let d = the distance out, so that the total distance traveled is 2d, and the times for the drive out and the drive back back are and respectively:

The times for each leg of the trip are

Thus:

Put this back into the first equation:

Rearrange and you get

To check that this is correct, try using a value for d that makes the math easy: let's assue d = 12000 m. The total time to make the trip out and back is 12000m/(40m/s) + 12000m/(60m/s) = 500 seconds. The total distance covered is 24000m, so the average speed is 24000m/500s = 48 m/s. So it checks.
    thanks. That was really helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find average speed? [ 3 Answers ]

I go to kumon and I have question that says... A car takes 7 hours and 50 minutes to travel 549 and 9/10(9 over 10)km. What is the average speed of the car in km per hour? The second part to the question is how many minutes will it take the car to travel 19 and 1/5 km

How to find average speed with given speed and distance [ 3 Answers ]

Suppose you go 75 mph for 53 miles, 55 mph for 21 miles and 35 mph for 3 miles... what is your average speed?

How do you find the average speed! [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I'm like dying trying to find out how to find the average speed of this problem "We drobe 60 miles to vist our friends. Then we drove 60 miles back. On our way there we drove at a speed of 60 miles per hour. On the way back we drove at a speed of 30 miles per hour. What was our average speed for...

How do you find the average speed? [ 1 Answers ]

The longest one-day bike race goes from Bordeaux, France, to Paris, France. The record for this race was set in 1981 by Herman van Springel of Belgium. He finished the 363.1-mile race in 13 hours, 35 minutes, 18 seconds. What was Springel's average speed for the race?

How do I find the average speed? [ 1 Answers ]

:p how can I find the average speed I DON'T GET IT!! AHHHHHHH

View more questions Search