Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2010, 06:22 PM
    Why do certain people calm animals?
    Those same people make me calm too. What is it? What have you experienced?

I think that it's a combination of tone of voice, speed of movement and self-confidence around animals. Some people come to my house and the dogs quit barking immediately and get mellow. Or is it a smell? The person's size doesn't seem to matter.

When my parrots (who have a very poor sense of smell but amazing eyesight) are calmed by a person though, I wonder because it's almost as if they have just encountered a different species of human. The reaction of the birds is very obvious. Of course the person who calms my parrots really, really relaxes the dogs.

Animals are sensitive to things that we don't always have a good handle on. The folks who make my pets feel comfortable are those I trust most.:)
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Jul 26, 2010, 06:41 PM

That a good question. I have a good friend who has a pit bull he adopted from a pitbull rescue. When I go over there that dog is my buddy. Perhaps he senses I am not afraid of him and not there to harm him or his human.
    When I first met Dizzy though I did not run over to him and startle him. I let him explore and accept me first. A good treat did not hurt either. Lol.

You are right about the tone of the voice, the calmness, the movements, and self-confidence. And it cannot be faked either - animals can sense that from the first. I just try to remember I am in their territory and act respectively.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 06:43 PM

I always joke that my husband is the animal whisperer. He's never met an animal that hasn't instantly loved him.

The best example was my neighbors daughter's dog. This dog had been severely beaten all her life. At the age of 4 years she came to live with our neighbor. She was weary of everyone. When someone would come over she'd tuck tail, pee, and then hide. She was just extremely skittish. Beautiful dog, white german shepherd cross. Gorgeous, but timid.

After a few month our neighbor decided that staying at home with her wasn't helping, it was time to introduce her to the big scary world. She went for a walk around the block, pulling the dog the entire way. She was scared of her own shadow, the trees, the grass, the birds, everything, and heaven forbid they met a human, she'd do anything to hide.

She finally got around the block and as she was passing our house we called her over.

As soon as she walked up and Sadie saw hubby, her tail started to wag, she got giddy, she pulled on the leash to get to him. Hubby kneeled on the ground and was smothered with kisses, tail thumping against him. The neighbor was in shock, almost fainted dead away.

It was like that until the day Sadie died (sadly she died 2 years later, mysterious death, fine one minute, gone the next, no symptoms, no signs).

Now the neighbor has a rescued husky, she was also timid and also thinks that my hubby is the best thing since sliced hamburger.

It's like that with all animals. I think it's just because they know he's an animal person. He loves all creatures, and it shows. That's why I have 3 dogs, 4 rabbits, a bird and two fish. I may plan to get them, but hubby is the one that can't leave the shelter without at least one new family member. ;)

Maybe we should pay them a visit tonight. :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2010, 08:49 PM

When I meet an animal for the first time, I stoop to their level with palms up. I let them explore. Most of the time the owner has the animal on a leash. I also never let them jump.

Big dogs can easily knock you over.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 09:05 PM

I recently finished reading Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin, the world's most famous autistic with a Ph.D. in animal science. She has a special love affair with cows. She'll lie down in the pasture, not move, and the cows will wander over to lick her. Months later, they will see her coming and trot up to her. She and many others with Asperger's think like animals, i.e. see life as pictures rather than as words and thoughts, and thus relate well with animals.

Another person with similar experiences is Shreve Stockton --

The Daily Coyote

When I feed stray/feral cats, I put out the food and then sit cross-legged a bit away, talk quietly and even sing softly while they eat. Each time I sit a few inches closer. I've rescued lots of cats.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2010, 02:18 AM

A true dog person will always be able to communicate with dogs.
    You can like, dogs, even love dogs, but unless you truly understand them they don't always take to you quickly.
    Some people don't even know they are doing some things, I believe it's a subconscious ability to just get along with them, almost like you give off a certain vibe to them that "hey, this person's ok"
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2010, 03:17 AM

When I was married we had some land that we rented out to a man with horses.

I love horses,but they don't love me,I admire there beauty and form,they however have never taken to me.

I could never go into the field to rub or stoke them when others including my children could,until one day my youngest (2years) crawled under the gate into the horses,I was 8 months pregnant and could not open the gate.

I had to climb over it! No mean feat for a heavily pregnant women.

My heart was racing as there was a new horse that had been delivered and was not yet broken,he was young and excited at the sight of something new in the field.

The leader horse,the grand mare RAN across the field,ciara was running towards the horses,my heart was pounding as I tried to run after her,I didn't want to shout to further scare the new horse.

The brood mare stood 15 hands high between my daughter and the rest of the herd (about 7 horses in total)

Ciara had sat down to examine a buttercup,I walked over,I was really scared by this time,I had cramps from running and the new baby was kicking like crazy.

I picked up ciara,who was now bawling like a jack a$$,horses in the background bucking and scraping the ground.

As walked towards the gate,the brood mare following me,her head sniffing my head,I through ciara over the gate(having a force 10 tantrum by now) and climbed back over the gate,brood mare pushing me at my back,either trying to help me over,or get me out of the field,either way I needed the help.

Without the help and intervention of the brood mare I have no doubt ciara would have been seriously hurt that day and me too.

I still love horses,and they still don't like me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calm me down [ 12 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any thing I can take to calm me down. I am very stressed out and feel like something bad is going to happen all the time. Something natural is preferred. I do not do well with medications. Please advise, thanks.

How Do I Calm My Dog Down? [ 6 Answers ]

I just got a kitten today and ever since we took her out of the cat carrier in the car my dog will not stop barking, whining, jumping and chasing at the kitten. She will not leave it alone at all! My kitten is TERRIFIED!! How do I get my dog to stop and just calm down?? :confused::confused:

How to calm my dog down [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 4 mth old lab and I'm trying to calm her down how do I calm her down

When do lads calm down [ 9 Answers ]

I understand its probably normal for guys in their 20s to have high sex drives, but when do they calm down, and I don't mean not wanting sex as I'm sure that's never, but surely they can't go on until their dead thinking of sex all the time. Are they ever just happy with love makign or does it...

How to calm down my dog [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2yr old dog who is very hyper. Every time I let her out she squeaks, and runs down the stairs and on my way down the stairs she runs back up and jumps all over me till I let her out the door. She does this every time I let her out.

View more questions Search