Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djcvet Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 10:29 AM
    Craftsman LT1000 safety switches

What excatly do the safety switches do? I have a Craftsman LT 1000 with a 17.5 hp engine and it states in the manual that there are three switches. Do they take power off the fuel shutoff solenoid or shut the spark off to the spark plug?

Jul 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
    Craftsman lt 1000 17.5 HP
    There are apparently three safety switches on this mower (seat - brake - mower blade clutch). If one of these shuts the motor off, what is it actually doing, shutting off the gas (fuel shutoff solenoid) or the ignition (spark plug)?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 01:04 PM

Hi,
    It is grounding out the ignition module/armature.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 26, 2010, 01:47 PM

Let me make sure I understand. If one of the switches were grounding out the ignition module/armature, would the starter still turn the engine over but just no spark at the plug?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 12:14 AM

Hi,
    It could depending on how the wiring harness is designed. A very few Craftsman mowers have the solenoid permanently powered and there are triggered by the presence of a ground circuit themselves. Not the best solution, but I have seen a number of models. I always read the schematic if I am given the model number, the manual is available, it contains the schematic and the problem is electrical.
    Many of the problems here are either electrical or fuel related.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman LT1000 42 [ 1 Answers ]

How much should I sell a Craftsman LT1000, 42" cut with double bagger lawn tractor for? It's about 6 years old, great condition.

Craftsman LT1000 [ 1 Answers ]

My LT1000 suddenly stopped moving. My son broke the drive belt and It worked for a little bit after I replaced the belt. I sent him out to mow and no forward or reverse from the hydrostatic transmission. Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting? Thanks!

Craftsman LT1000 [ 2 Answers ]

How do I operate the vacuum bag on the craftsman LT100 riding mower?

Craftsman lt1000 [ 2 Answers ]

Mower want start.new spark plug and gas.it has spark but want fire Looking for belt diagram on mowing deck for a lt1000 craftsman tractor model no.917273371 diagram in manual not very clear >Moved from Lawn & Garden<

View more questions Search