Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    singlerdwith3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 09:16 AM
    How can you change your custody so the father has no rights?
    I am a single mother of 3 kids, that has had nothing but problems with my ex husband since we got divorced. He has visitation for 6 weeks in the summer for all 3 kids, ages 7, 5, and 3. They either come back with a broken bone, have been hit when they're with him, or the most recent is him scheduling surgery for the youngest without my consent. I can't seem to get any legal advice on how to change his rights. PLEASE HELP!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2010, 09:19 AM

I suspect you have joint legal custody with you having primary physical custody. If you can show a pattern of abuse when the children are with him (and this means documented evidence) you should be able to get full legal custody. This would, at least, prevent him from scheduling surgeries without you.

Getting a Termination of Parental Rights will be much harder. You would have to show he is a clear and constant danger to the children.

Your best bet is consulting a local Family Law attorney to see what your chances are and how to prepare a case.
    singlerdwith3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 09:35 AM

My biggest problem is the joint custody and he throws that in my face every time he has them. I have showed all past and present documentation to my lawyer and many other lawyers, and all I keep getting as an excue not to go any further is because they are unexplained injuries because of my kids being so young. Their father recently got diagnosed with bipolar and is currently on 6 different medications, his mood changes superfast for no reason at all. I just got off the phone with him screaming at me because my insurance company won't cover my child's surgery out of state. He is now refusing to give my kids back to me even though his visitation was up on Sunday.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2010, 10:13 AM

If he hasn't returned the kids after his visit is over, get into court immediately and tell them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2010, 11:21 AM

Or you can go pick up the kids with a copy of the court order, if he refuses to turn them over, go to the police and ask them to accompany you back to the house. As long as you have a court order showing you are the custodial parent, he will have to turn them over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody change to father [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a fifteen year old and I wanted to know what the chances are of me winning if I took my mom to court to go and live with my dad. I will take her to court if it comes down to it but I don't want it to. Ive tried to talk her into letting me but she won't. The reason I want to do this is she...

Unmarried Father Custody Rights [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 5 year old little girl from a relationship in which her mother and I were never married although we lived together for a few years. We have been separated for 2 years and I have since remarried. Up until recently my little girls mother and I have been following a visitation...

How do I terminate my rights and give custody to father [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 43 and just gave birth to identical twin boys. I want to give up all my rights to them and give permanent custody to the father who is in agreement with this. He does not want child support. The boys in question will receive money from my family trust. We are in California

Custody rights for a father [ 10 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I just had a newborn, she is a very difficult person and we can't seem to get alo ng. We live in Vancouver, she moved here a year and a half ago from new brunswick and due to our fights is threatening to take the baby back to the east coast. The baby was born here, has a because...

Father seeking custody rights [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I are about to separate. She is pregnant, and the baby is due any day now. She says that after the baby is born, she is leaving the state. I do not want this separation, but I know that I cannot stop that. She knows that with me being in the military, that I will not have all of the...

View more questions Search