Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mac77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 06:15 AM
    Cant get over dads death and its been 17 years!
    Hi
    I am 33 years old and still suffer with loss of my dad. When I was 15 my father had a massive heart attack and died in front of me, I blamed myself for a while because I thought I could have done something more to save him but I just ran off to phone an ambulance.I will never forget the look on his face as he lay there and it haunts me every night to this day. I lay awake at night just thinking about death and its making me really depressed, pluss I start thinking about when other family members are going to die.I hate the way I feel and suffer from panick attacks. I wonder why I was never offered counselling by my doctor got any help, I was just a boy and nobody ever asked how I was feeling, I was being treated for panick attacks and depression at 15!
    Has anyone been through the same?
    Thanks for reading
    M
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 06:26 AM

You need to SEEK counseling. Grief, in it's purest form, should last no longer than a year. If it lasts longer counseling is indicated.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2010, 06:03 AM
    If things haven't improved in all that time,like J_9 said.. seek professional help now.They didn't offer it then but what has stopped you from seeking it since then?This couldn't have been all that much of an issue since you didn't get any help or ask for advice till now,right?

Here are the stages of grief and a site to read before you go to a professional about this,perhaps you can begin discussion with them from an educated side instead of from scratch.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/grief_loss.htm

Hope this helps you:)

KBC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1970's or 1980's movie band leader fakes death then is discovered years later [ 2 Answers ]

Trying to find a movie I watched in the 80's about a guy who faked his death he was a singer sounded like bruce springsteen they even made a tape of the songs he resurfaces years later in construction.

Why does the hair color change when someone in there older years nears death [ 17 Answers ]

My mother has developed a lung condition which the doctor has just performed a biopsy to determine if it is cancer or another condition( keeping my fingers crossed) Her hair was all white (grey) and over the last week or so has been returning to it's natural color of black. There has been no change...

Statistical tests for treatment effect on death rates over many years [ 1 Answers ]

We have statistics about Case Fatality Rate (Death rate) of a disease for 30 years totalling to about 30,000 cases. Then, a new treatment was planned and started. Now we have 10 years statistics of Case Fatality Rate totalling to about 10,000 cases. I want to compare and draw statistical...

I cannot get over my brothers death of 3 years [ 5 Answers ]

I lost my brother 3 years ago and think about him daily. I am married and have 2 children and they do not understand why I am still feeling this way. I cannot go to his house to visit his wife and sons because all I want to do is cry. My nephew is getting married soon and I do not know if I can...

OK to record quitclaim 10 years later/8 yrs after death of grantee? [ 1 Answers ]

A quitclaim deed was given to the family physician 2001. The deed was unrecorded. The grantor died in 2002, and her estate probated. The land in the quitclaim deed was divided among heirs. Heirs were unaware of the deed at the time the land was divided, nor did the grantee make anyone aware of...

View more questions Search