Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    g_veraart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 05:47 AM
    My child thinks he sees a monster and he says his name is ebi
    My child said when he was about 3 years old that he saw a monster in his room and it was waiting for him. He said that the monster told him his name was ebi (not sure of the spelling - could be ibi.
    He is now four and a half and recently has been saying that the monster is back (same name as before) and again is quite frightened.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 05:50 AM

I can remember being small and being afraid of the monster in the closet. Never forgot it, but my mom downplayed it and the monster eventually went away.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2010, 11:08 AM

Have you tried using Monster Spray? We keep a bottle of it handy all the time.

It's a spray bottle of water with a few drops of anise extract in it to make sure the monsters can smell the protection it provides.

Our son swears by it!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 26, 2010, 11:23 AM
    We have monster "repellent" that works a treat.
    Basically just fruity kids shower gel, makes them smell nice to and keeps ALL monsters away, gets them clean as well.

Yes, may sound trite, but letting your kids know how they can beat things like this is all part of the plan.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 02:51 AM

Monster spray and repellent are great ideas.

I found that a subtle night lite (monster repelling type) works well too.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 03:56 AM

Night lite is a good idea but I don't believe in 'sugar-coating' this issue with placebos; I don't think that sends the right kind of message. Straight no nonsense talking, kindly of course, to a child does wonders. Scary things cannot always be handled in later life with placebos.

Tick
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 05:39 AM

Maybe a progression of
    1. Defeat the monster. Get rid of the fear.
    2. Explain when the child can better grasp that it was his belief that he could defeat the monster that really defeated it and not the spray or the light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monster movie from 80's or 90's with purple-ish monster costume [ 3 Answers ]

This movie was from when I was a child... so my recollection is blurry. I think this movie is a about a kid that turns into a monster. This monster is purple-ish, blue and furry. Not sure what the kid did to get himself turned into a monster, but that's all I know. Can't seem to figure out the...

A monster movie where the monster got into the Easter Bunny's suit and killed him. [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to find this monster movie from I believe the 80's where this guy is wearing an Easter Bunny costume and a monster gets into his suit and kills him. And then he falls in through a church window.

My child sees things [ 5 Answers ]

My 8 year daughter has been sleeping with me since my husband and her watched a scary movie, before that she was sleeping in her own bed. I tried putting her in her own bed last night and she told me that she is scared she sees fuzzy floaty things. They don't talk they just float around and watch...

My child sees a person at night and is frightened [ 4 Answers ]

How do I help my child who sees monsters at night?

She sees me as a more than a friend? [ 11 Answers ]

I met this girl online and got to know her a bit over about 2 months. We met up in the real world and she is great like I imagined. I'm pretty sure she likes me and I was what she was expecting as well. We spent a few hours together talking, it was great and the time flew by. The problem is I am...

View more questions Search