Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2010, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Now try the Gatsby one. That one made me mad. I was looking for grammatical errors (not qualified but looked anyway, couldn't find any), or spelling (qualified but found none), and everything else I could think of. I even started to question whether or not the story was accurate, but that wasn't it.

When I finally figured it out I wanted to smack my head on a desk. So simple, but something I didn't look at until 2 days after I heard the riddle.

If you don't get it by tonight, I'll tell you. I'm hoping WG will take a look, see if she figures it out. :)
    Want a hint or do you want to mull it over for a bit first?
    Again, it's simple.

Something about the crowd or the girl backing toward him. Broadway crowd. Let me think?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Again, it's simple.

Something about the crowd or the girl backing toward him. Broadway crowd. Let me think?
    You're getting colder.

Nothing is wrong with the paragraph. Everything is perfect with the paragraph. There's just something unusual about it.

Hint: The thing that makes it unusual has nothing to do with an error, not in the grammatical sense or the story being told. The thing that makes it unusual is barely noticeable, but once you notice it, you'll want to bang your head up against a wall repeatedly for not having seen it before.

Hint #2: When you read it, does it flow easily off the tongue? Wonder why? That may lead you in the right direction, or it may not. It depends. :) No, I'm not being cryptic. ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2010, 07:50 PM
    You're getting colder.

Nothing is wrong with the paragraph. Everything is perfect with the paragraph. There's just something unusual about it.

Hint: The thing that makes it unusual has nothing to do with an error, not in the grammatical sense or the story being told. The thing that makes it unusual is barely noticeable, but once you notice it, you'll want to bang your head up against a wall repeatedly for not having seen it before.

Hint #2: When you read it, does it flow easily off the tongue? Wonder why? That may lead you in the right direction, or it may not. It depends. :) No, I'm not being cryptic. ;)
    Maybe something about "his Honor"... Let me think about till tomorrow.:)
    Pets Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 07:54 PM

None of the words are wrong. It has nothing to do with punctuation, capitalization, grammar, any of that. It's just unusual. :)

If there is a grammatical error, that's my fault, not the riddles. Don't look at grammar or any mistakes. There is no mistake. The paragraph is perfectly written.

It's just unusual. :)

Where's WG? Where did everyone else go?

Come on people, take a crack at it. :)
    Pets Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 07:56 PM

Here's the paragraph again, so people don't have to go back to find it.

The paragraph below is most unusual. How quickly can you find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so ordinary you'd think nothing was wrong with it - and in fact, nothing is wrong with it. It is unusual though. Why?

"Gatsby was walking back from a visit down in Branton Hill's manufacturing district on a Saturday night. A busy day's traffic had had its noisy run; and with not many folks in sight, His Honour got along without having to stop to grasp a hand, or talk; for a mayor out of City Hall is a shining mark for any politician. And so, coming to Broadway, a booming bass drum and sounds of singing, told of a small Salvation Army unit carrying on amidst Broadway's night shopping crowds. Gatsby , walking towards that group, saw a young girl, back toward him, just finishing a long, soulful oration ... "

The above passage is taken from the book "Gatsby" written by Ernest Vincent Wright in the late 1930's

Any spelling errors or missing punctuation and the like, that's my fault. There is nothing wrong with the paragraph. Nothing! It's just unusual.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 07:56 PM

Can you give me another hint?
    Dogs Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 07:57 PM

It rhymes?
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

One especially for WG.

The paragraph below is most unusual. How quickly can you find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so ordinary you'd think nothing was wrong with it - and in fact, nothing is wrong with it. It is unusual though. Why?

"Gatsby was walking back from a visit down in Branton Hill's manufacturing district on a Saturday night. A busy day's traffic had had its noisy run; and with not many folks in sight, His Honour got along without having to stop to grasp a hand, or talk; for a mayor out of City Hall is a shining mark for any politician. And so, coming to Broadway, a booming bass drum and sounds of singing, told of a small Salvation Army unit carrying on amidst Broadway's night shopping crowds. Gatsby , walking towards that group, saw a youg girl, back toward him, just finishing a long, soulful oration ... "

The above passage is taken from the book "Gatsby" written by Ernest Vincent Wright in the late 1930's
    I don't know if this is it based on your clues, but I noticed there are no e's in it.
    Pets Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Can you give me another hint?
    Big hint!

Something is missing. Not from the sentence, not punctuation or a capital, or anything of that nature. But something very common is missing.
    Pets Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Looking View Post
    I don't know if this is it based on your clues, but I noticed there are no e's in it.
    WINNER!! :) :) :)

E is the most common letter in the English language, yet this entire paragraph doesn't have even one "e" in it.

Yay JLO! :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2010, 07:59 PM
    WINNER!!!! :) :) :)

E is the most common letter in the English language, yet this entire paragraph doesn't have even one "e" in it.

Yay JLO! :)
    :D More, more.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 08:00 PM

There is no one in a lake. 20 people jump in. 24 heads come up. All heads human. How is this possible?

And yes all heads were on their shoulders!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 08:02 PM

That's it?? :rolleyes: :)
    Pets Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 08:03 PM

Conjoined twins?
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2010, 08:06 PM

I emailed this to my daughter and she said it was one of the things they studie in Creative writing... You'll never guess... No E's in the entire book.
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2010, 08:07 PM

Oops - deleted due to reading comprehension problem :p
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2010, 08:08 PM

There were already 4 people in the lake?
    Dogs Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 08:08 PM

Yes, I said there is no one in a lake, 20 people jumped in...

Heheheh
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2010, 08:10 PM

They were dead people weren't they?
    Dogs Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 08:11 PM

LOL. No, no dead people. Want another hint.

Look for a play on words.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riddle what it mean [ 7 Answers ]

Stop,look and always see me. Try to touch , you cannot feel me. Never moving, never closer. Always moving, the endless poser. What am I?

I need help with a riddle [ 2 Answers ]

There is a woman who needs to get three things across a waterfall corn feed, a chicken, and a fox but she can only take them one at a time. And the fox can't stay with the chicken because he will eat the chicken and the chicken can't stay with the corn feed because it will eat the corn feed. How...

I've got a riddle for you. [ 22 Answers ]

Einstein's Riddle: Einstein has been widely credited online with the following riddle, and with the claim that 98% of the world could not solve it. But several of our NIEHS scientists were able to solve it, and they said it is not all that hard if you pay attention and are very patient. Give it a...

Riddle me this [ 4 Answers ]

There are 10 pails. 9 of them contain non-poisonous pills while only 1 contains poisonous pills.All of the pails and pills are of the same colour.How to differentiate the one with the poisonous pills.Non-poisonous pills each weighs 10 gram while poisonous pills each weighs 9 gram.You can only use...

A little riddle [ 2 Answers ]

If you seen the batman movie with riddler in it, don't answer this please. However, for those of you who haven't seen it, or don't remember seeeing it, here is a riddle from the movie: We are 5 of an everyday sort, You can find us in A Tennis Court What are we?

View more questions Search