Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DavidChili Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 08:08 PM
    What is my service... 200 amp?
    This should be simply I think, but I'm not certain about the answer. My main breaker consists of four 200 amp breakers gang bared to trip together. Does this mean I have 200 amp main service or more?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2006, 03:55 AM
    Sounds like a GE panel, it should only be 200 amp rating. What does the lable on the panel door state? Can you provide a picture or a model number?

Dec 18, 2006, 06:35 PM
    The panel is Siemens, and says it is rated for 200 amps. The four 200 amp breakers suggest that there are four lines feeding two rows at 240 volts for a total of 400 amps. Is this right? What am I missing?
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Dec 18, 2006, 08:29 PM
    OK ITE makes the similar breaker as GE, this is exactly what I thought you were explaining, it is a 200 amp, not 400. See below the model number it states "200 Amp Max"?

Dec 19, 2006, 06:15 AM
    TK, thank you for your answer. I did see the 200 amp max rating, but I wasn't willing to assume it was installed to meet that limit (I have found too many other strange things in this house). So why do I have two sets of 200 amp breakers?
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 07:55 AM
    Several manufacturers were making these types of 200 amp breakers for a while. Each half looks like a two pole 100 amp breaker, doesn't it?

If you look inside you will see each half, or two poles, are connected together, as is the other half.

These are actually 2 pole 100 amp breakers, connected in parallel, each half or two poles adding up to 200 amp per leg,which is allowed by code and UL.

I believe they came up with this method to use up the 2 pole 100 amp breakers they had in stock, since the housing industry now uses mostly 200 amp services due to the size of homes and the appliances available.

Siemens does not show this panel any longer, the breaker is probably available only as a replacement. GE still makes this type of Main Breaker panel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New 200 amp service [ 21 Answers ]

Upgrading to new 200 amp service. I have installed new 200amp /main lug/30 spaces /40 circuit/ Square d in house. I have ran #4/o al. with ground in 2 inch conduit, 24 inch below ground, to outside where new 200 amp serv. Disc. Will be. Ground is rocky with clay. I am worn out, used old pick and...

200 Amp Service [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 200 amp meter base and a 200 amp dedicated disconnect mounted on an exterior structure mandated by the servicing electric coop. My question is - Is there a weatherproof exterior panel that has a built-in plug similar to the one that is included in the outdoor temporary power outlet...

200 amp service with a 200 amp outdoor breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to wire a 200 amp outdoor breaker enclosure.I have 4/0 scu cable for my service head to the meter,and 4/0 scu from meter to breaker enclosure.Then from the breaker enclosure I have 4/0 ser cable to my panel.What is the proper wiring method in the enclosure,please help.

200 amp service cable [ 1 Answers ]

Good moring everyone! Quick question, I'm still in the process of upgrading to 200 amp service. I've purchaced a panel box and the guy I bought it off said he'll give me the service cable with it. The question I'm trying to find out is, the size wire he is giving me going to work 2/0, 4/0, 6/0...

200 amp service [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a 200 amp,underground residentual service. My ungrounded service leads will be - wire size 4/0. My question is, can I use a smaller size wire for my grounded netural?

View more questions Search