Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CBM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 06:52 PM
    Intitled to inheritance in a divorce?
    Could the spouse be intitled to half of a inheritance estate that is due the other party in the near future after 20 year of marriage.
    CB
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2006, 08:35 PM
    If still legally married when the estate in question is liquidated then possibly. Speak with an attorney to be sure.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 21, 2006, 08:42 PM
    Is the estate already in probate, is the person even dead yet ?

If the person is dead and the estate is just not finished with probate, then it is that persons money due basically and your attorney should know about it, to see if your state or nations law allows you to have a share in it.

If of course the person is not dead yet but is merely expected to die shortly, then no the money is not thiers yet
    calawmom Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CBM
    Could the spouse be intitled to half of a inheritance estate that is due the other party in the near future after 20 year of marriage.
    CB
    Wow, legally this is a hugely complex issue. Generally, no. Inheritance is the property of the spouse who gets it. But, there are very complex factors which may change the general rule. In your area, there is probably a Legal Aid Society which could give you a low-cost or no cost consultation after hearing more about your facts. If you don't see anything in the phone book, call the county bar association and ask them.
    Happy Holidays!
    samsclub Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Dec 24, 2006, 09:22 PM
    I live in Texas. When I got my divorce my "inheritance" was mine. I got it all back out of the divorce. It was not community property. You can call a lawyer and see which one will give you free advice over the phone to find out. It might depend on what state you live in.
    penchie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CBM
    CB
    I live in Indiana, my son (separated) in California. Will his wife be entitled to monies inherited by my son even they are separated for three years?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce or not [ 7 Answers ]

I have been married nine years and just found out last week that my husband cheated on me with his first wife just before we were married and just after. I have had my suspicions within 6 months after we married he came down with herpes... that he never had before in the months we dates and not...

Divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I am from IOWA. I have recently been served with divorce papers. How many days do I have to contest the divorce?

Divorce [ 4 Answers ]

My friend is going through a divorce and it's been a year and a half and still no final decree has been signed. His wife and her lawyer has done everything in their power to stall the whole process. What I mean by that is she was acusing him of committing adultry, never turned in any evidience for...

Cause of Divorce? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. I have a very bad situation on my hands. See, I'm 13 and my parents MIGHT get a divorce because of me. See, I saw my mom doing somwthing that she shouldn't have been doing (making out with a friend of her and my dad's when she was drunk) and I told my dad because I was scared and confused. ...

Just out of a divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I've been with a truly wonderful man for almost 2 years. When I met him he had more baggage than some airports however I was aware of this. I wouldn't have hung on through all his issues had he not shown me the kind of love women dream of. He and I have a very adult relationship. We got each other...

View more questions Search