Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diamondg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 07:40 PM
    Dentist says my 14 year old needs a root canal.
    My son is 14 years old the dentist says he needs a root canal. My question is after he grows up and his mouth grows won't he need more work to the root canal and a larger tooth?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 24, 2010, 08:04 PM

Would the root canal be in a permanent tooth? Permanent teeth don't change in size, so he won't need more work to that tooth unless the crown chips or falls off.
    diamondg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 09:09 PM

To wondergirl,
    It is a permanent tooth. Thank You So Much, Have A Blessed Week.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2010, 06:36 AM
    The tooth should have a crown placed on it to prevent the chance of the tooth breaking. When a root canal is done the tooth becomes brittle since there is no nerve (or moisture) in it and can break. Often when a root canal tooth breaks it will break to the point where the tooth has to be removed. It's always a shame when a tooth that has had extensive treatment has to be removed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My two year old needs a root canal and crowns, is anestesia safe for a two year old? [ 10 Answers ]

:confused:my two year old is needing a root canal and four crowns on her front teeth but the part I am worried about is they said she would have to be put to sleep. I am very worried about this, is it even safe for a child this young? What are the risks? She doesn't have any breathing problems...

Why did my dentist put on a crown without a root canal? [ 5 Answers ]

Two years ago my dentist worked with my front incisors which had been broken in a freak pogo-stick accident when I was a child. Way back then, my childhood dentist told me one day the teeth might die and need root canals. Fifteen years later, I developed a blister over one of the incisors and...

Broke a tooth that has a root canal and dentist dismissed me as his patient [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I 'broke' a tooth that contained a large filling and a root canal. Because I have diabetes, leukemia and several other serious health problems, including low platlets, 40ish, my dentist of 18 years informed me that he didn't want me as his patient any long. I presume his liability...

View more questions Search